• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Convertible top (manual) retainer

70SunFun

Reaction score
Hi All. Looking for some manual convertible top information and a part. My 70 Challenger convertible has a manual top that has a retainer on either side of the boot well that secures the tie-down strap that hold the convertible top bows down. The driver's side retainer is missing the top piece of the retainer that turns 90 degrees to hold the strap in place (first pic). The second and third pics show the passenger side retainer which is intact. I looked in my 70-71 dealer's parts book and can't seem to find the part number. If anyone is aware of someone who might be selling this part or just the top piece that threads on, I'd be grateful. Or if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks!

conv retainer driver side.jpg

conv retainer1 pass side.jpg

conv retainer2 pass side.jpg

terrywalker

Reaction score
I've owned my 71 Challenger convertible since June 1972 and have never seen that strap/retainer setup before. My manual top simply has the two hold down brackets.
Interesting.
Terry

Last edited:

70SunFun

Reaction score
Hello again, Terry! This is my first Challenger convertible. I agree that it is a different setup than my 71 Cuda convertible 'daily driver back in the 80s' manual top had. My 71 Cuda had the two hold down brackets that your 71 Challenger has. Not sure if my Challenger setup is factory or not. Maybe Chrysler changed the setup from 70 to 71? I'm missing the piece on the top that turns 90 degrees to lock the strap. If my car is a factory setup it's not a good engineered design because if the top piece comes off it will fall down into the bottom of the wheel well and difficult to be reached. Hopefully other 70 convertible owners will respond on their manual top setups. Thanks for your comment!

70SunFun

Reaction score
Hello again, Terry! This is my first Challenger convertible. I agree that it is a different setup than my 71 Cuda convertible 'daily driver back in the 80s' manual top had. My 71 Cuda had the two hold down brackets that your 71 Challenger has. Not sure if my Challenger setup is factory or not. Maybe Chrysler changed the setup from 70 to 71? I'm missing the piece on the top that turns 90 degrees to lock the strap. If my car is a factory setup it's not a good engineered design because if the top piece comes off it will fall down into the bottom of the wheel well and difficult to be reached. Hopefully other 70 convertible owners will respond on their manual top setups. Thanks for your comment!

Hello All! Hope this gets through to everyone and not just me (lol!). I'd like to give a nice shout-out to QuickBpBp. He sold me a set of Challenger manual convertible top N.O.S. hold-down brackets at a super-reasonable price, shipping was inexpensive, and I received them in record time. Great person to deal with! If you need any E body (or B body) parts that he advertises, he is a great person to buy from. I believe that he also goes by Moparts on the For B Bodies Only web site if any of you fellow/gal E body owners have a need for B body parts. Thanks again, QuickBpBp!

Back