• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Converting Non Rally dash to Rally Dash

Barraguy

Reaction score
The dash is out and all taken apart on my 70 Barra' and I'm considering converting it to a Rally Dash, besides the cluster and the wiring what else needs to be changed? It is a A/C dash if that makes any difference.

tonysrt

Reaction score
As long as you have the rally dash wiring harness all should go well. I did my conversion about 12 years ago and no problems. I used 72 Challenger dash into 71 Cuda.

rklein71

Reaction score
Just did the same thing a month back or so. You can use a standard harness with a few modifications. You will have add a tach feed and a tach power wire to the harness. These are available repro if you want. I bought the wire from the fuzz block to the coil repro. Since the rally dash has a clock, you will need to add a power to the clock. The oil pressure wire will have to modified as well since the rally has a gauge and the non-rally is an idiot light.

The bezel under the gauges with a non-rally dash has a moon shape molded into it whereas the rally bezel is straight across. I bought a piece of black abs plastic off of ebay and chemically welded it to the bezel. Redid the wrinkle finish with wrinkle finish paint and it looks awesome. About 20 bucks. In order to weld the plastic chemically, just dissolve some black plastic in acetone until it is a glue like consistency then just "glue" it in. You can use a little extra and sand it down to prep it for paint.

Rod

rklein71

Reaction score
Couple of pics of my dash. It is a 72-74 rally dash into my 71 Barracuda.[/ATTACH]
IMG_3878.JPG

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3878.JPG

Barraguy

Reaction score
This is great info guys. Thanks so much. I'm almost finished with my heater box and will be starting to tear down my dash, and steering column for repainting soon. Love your dash stand, that's a great idea. I'm sure I will have a few more questions along the way

rklein71

Reaction score
Cool, yeah the dash stand is really helpful and it only took an hour to make with some lumber laying around. Trying to roll it around on a table is a pain in the rear. If you have any questions, let me know. Another good tip is print out the largest wiring diagram you can and put it on a piece of cardboard. I printed one that was 20x20.

Thought you might like my other wooden creation.
IMG_3095.JPG

rklein71

Reaction score
I did my heater box and bought a 2.00 piece of black foam from Walmart to do it. I think it was a foam pad for a window AC unit. Just cut the foam to shape and glued it with spray glue.

IMG_3717.JPG

Back