• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Crank - cast or forged?

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I was putting together my 340 with the parts that came with it (it came in pieces), but all the machine work was already done (and documented properly) on the crank and block. The crank was professionally installed, but now I'm not sure if it is forged or cast. The numbers on it don't seem to relate to the books at all, and I can't "tap' it with a hammer to hear the ring or the clunk now that it's installed. The casting "stripe" on the front is about 1/4" wide. I heard that if this is about 1/8" it's forged, and 3/8" it's cast. So now what? I do not have the flex plate that would also suggest what type it was based on internally or externally balanced. Any guesses? I have all the parts and want to finish the assembly this month - thanks! :icon_study:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
is there a casting # on the crank ? if so it is a cast crank forged only had stamped #s
Can you post a picture ?

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
is there a casting # on the crank ? if so it is a cast crank forged only had stamped #s
Can you post a picture ?
Here are photos. Does this help?

340Crank1.jpg

340Crank2.jpg

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Okay, I tried to do some more research. Doesn't this "thick" casting line mean it's forged?

340Crank3.jpg

Last edited:
Back