• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cranks but won't start

dmc8163

Reaction score
Chryco Psycho, it was just a matter of time. Car ran wonderfully for a month or so. Yesterday morning nothing. Cranks but won't start. No spark when the key is in the start position. The entire system is new with the exception of the ignition switch. I have a new ignition switch and plan on installing it in the column. I'm a little reluctant to do so because of the complicated (to me) nature. I have no doubt I can get it apart. Getting in back together again is the challange. Wish me luck. Dave

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
UGG , learning curve for sure , the ign switch is not difficult to replace , you just need a puller to fit inside the crush can

dmc8163

Reaction score
OK. So yesterday I grab the puller and other tools I need to replace the ignition switch. I'm sitting in the car getting ready to go when I think....you don't suppose it will start?? Sure enough, cranks right up and drives like a scalded dog for a 30 minute tour around the neighborhood. Arghhhh! So, the questionn is....do I go ahead and replace the ignition switch? The theory being something in the switch is intermittantly shorting out. Thanks, Dave

UGG , learning curve for sure , the ign switch is not difficult to replace , you just need a puller to fit inside the crush can

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Check the connection at the bulkhead plug & the base of the column , some di-electric grease is always a good idea to limit corrosion & maintain electrical contact , obviously something is not connecting 100% & is intermittent , it could be the ign switch just worn out & not making contact every time the switch is turned but in theory if it works most of the time wiggling the switch on and off a few times should make it work if the switch is the problem .

dmc8163

Reaction score
Got it. Both of the bulkhead connectors are new so I thought that would solve that problem but you are right, I'll treat them with dialectric grease. I bought the column "restored" because I needed one for a PS car anyway. Perhaps the switch is very, very old or corroded. Well, I have a new switch so here I go............electrical systems will be the death of me. Ill let you know what happens. Thanks! :toothy10:

Check the connection at the bulkhead plug & the base of the column , some di-electric grease is always a good idea to limit corrosion & maintain electrical contact , obviously something is not connecting 100% & is intermittent , it could be the ign switch just worn out & not making contact every time the switch is turned but in theory if it works most of the time wiggling the switch on and off a few times should make it work if the switch is the problem .

Back