• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Custom hoods

Blake129

Reaction score
Has anyone modified an RT hood to add a cowl in the center to accept a taller intake manifold? I dont want to ditch the unique design of the factory hood, but need some sort of ideas to accommodate a tall intake manifold. Pics would be appreciated.

Adam

Reaction score
How tall is this intake? Can you mill a half inch off or so...

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I’d find the next most comparable intake that fits under the stock hood and go with that. How much difference in HP or torque will there be and how much hassle and expense will you have to go through to keep it? To me though this hobby is all about the aesthetic and the nostalgia though, in other words these cars looked the best as they rolled off the assembly line and performed just fine. If I wanted a car that was really fast and efficient I’d buy something new.

Blake129

Reaction score
Well I've got a 70 challenger r/t (originally plum crazy purple), but the previous owner appeared to have painted it red and now its sporting rust. It used to have a vinyl top, which I'm abandoning. It used to be a 4 speed car with a 383. When I received it it didn't have either. I'm planning on building a street/strip car with the factory color. I've got a 440 block bored .040" and a 512 stroker kit from 440 source. Its going to be a 10.5:1 engine on pump gas, aluminum Edelbrock Victor heads, custom grind bullet cam with a fairly aggressive profile. I'm hoping to get it in the high 9s in the 1/4. I've purchased a 727 that I got for a good deal. It will be rebuilt with a fully manual valve body and transbrake. The rear end is a 8 3/4 and I plan on running a 4.10 setup. A few other mods: exhaust electric cutouts, line lock, possibly a small nitrous setup?

The car is fixing to go into the shop for metal work, the majority of the skin will be replaced. I'm not tubbing it, however it will have a 3" spring relocation kit put on as I plan on running 295s in the rear on some 15" black steel wheels (that's still undecided). Ill also have subframe connectors put in and a cage inside the car. While I realize this wont be ideal for daily driving, I still want this car to be driveable on the street to cruise to car shows and what not. Basically I'm trying to build a badass street car that will turn heads.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
B08FB5A2-CA9C-4100-A452-E03CA0D4A477.jpeg
I run a Holley street dominator with a drop base and factory hood. No clearance issue other than can’t run the under hood pad

rbbruno3

Reaction score
01E9C8F2-BA04-4C57-A4A5-98CA46E2CC1C.jpeg
It’s a Holley Street Dominator intake. Here is a Dyno test from a Hot Rod Magazine.

Last edited:

Blake129

Reaction score
Ah sorry I misunderstood, for some reason I thought you were referring to your carb setup. Do you know how much of a drop that drop base is supposed to be and the height of that air filter? The victor intake is just over an inch taller than a dominator according to summit racing so if I can squeeze an inch in somewhere whether it be a bigger drop base or a lower filter it should work with a factory hood. Fingers crossed.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have also cut the little Ridge off of the base of the drop base air cleaners at the carb flange for another 1/4" or so. You could have the intake milled slightly on the carb flange if needed. Another option is some K-Frame spacers to lower the engine in the engine bay.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I saved my original R/T hood and made a custom Super Shaker scoop and hood for my car to clear the tunnel ram and two foggers. Scoop is getting painted black and hood blue soon.

20180627_222915.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

20200207_183435.jpg

20200207_184548.jpg

IMG9505711.jpg

Back