• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Distributor Part Number Help

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Hi,

Please let me know the correct OEM Distributor part number for:

- 1970 Challenger
- 440 Engine
- 4 speed
- Build April 1970
- Any other info needed?

Been trying to read through all the blogs, but very confused, especially if it is supposed to be single or dual-point.

Thanks everybody

halifaxhop

Reaction score
3438222 is the primary number 3438224 is the replacement number. Don't have one in stock do have a core coming not cheap and also a question which vac advance do you call for the electronic retard or a standard one you have to look in the FSM to make sure. Also the date code will be fun to find since it is a early one (usually 3 months prior) Not cheap and your the third on the wanted list. They go for 250+ on e bay and that is used. The e advance usually are bad, expensive crap shoot on them. Hope it helps.
Ray

Reaction score
Guys, The Part number is 3438222. Then wouldn’t they all be built the same with the solenoid vacuum advance? If they had one without that solenoid vac advance then it would be a different part number. Right?

This is a production factory and they can’t have two different parts with the same part number on them. That would never work out. How do you get the right part? Manually look through them all?

and how does the distributor build shop know how many to make with this or that vac advance?

Imagine going to the parts house and the book says you need distributor part number XYZ123. But now you have to open all the boxes to find the one with the solenoid vac advance or regular type. This doesn’t make sense. You’d never get he part you want.

halifaxhop

Reaction score
Last edited:

oldkimmer

Reaction score
3438222 is the primary number 3438224 is the replacement number. Don't have one in stock do have a core coming not cheap and also a question which vac advance do you call for the electronic retard or a standard one you have to look in the FSM to make sure. Also the date code will be fun to find since it is a early one (usually 3 months prior) Not cheap and your the third on the wanted list. They go for 250+ on e bay and that is used. The e advance usually are bad, expensive crap shoot on them. Hope it helps.
Ray
Dam Ray, I sold 1 on B bodies for $50.00 not very long ago. I have a list there. Kim

halifaxhop

Reaction score
Guys, The Part number is 3438222. Then wouldn’t they all be built the same with the solenoid vacuum advance? If they had one without that solenoid vac advance then it would be a different part number. Right?

This is a production factory and they can’t have two different parts with the same part number on them. That would never work out. How do you get the right part? Manually look through them all?

and how does the distributor build shop know how many to make with this or that vac advance?

Imagine going to the parts house and the book says you need distributor part number XYZ123. But now you have to open all the boxes to find the one with the solenoid vac advance or regular type. This doesn’t make sense. You’d never get he part you want.

I should have re worded that they get taken off because the system is non functional and they change it to a regular vac advance with the same amount of advance. Sorry brain fart there. I deal with guys that have them deleted for years.

Back