• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Do all A833 4 speeds have that whining noise?

Avalanche

Reaction score
Had my 70 tranny rebuilt and it makes a whining noise, mostly 1-3 gears. I think these transmissions all make noise but wasnt sure?

moparleo

Reaction score
Check the level of the trans fluid and find out what weight it should have in it. The shop who rebuilt your trans should be the ones that you should be asking these questions.

Racer57

Reaction score
I had thought my tranny was making noise and had it rebuilt which it did need. I still had a whine and it was the bearings in the differential.

moparleo

Reaction score
Did you talk to the builder yet ? Depends on the gears used, the viscosity of the trans fluid, fluid level. Have you checked any of these things yet as recommended ? Ask the same question, get the same answer.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Did you install the transmission yourself if so what oil is in it?, did you fill it until oil started drooling from the fill plug? all forward gears are helical so they should run quiet, reverse is straight cut so it will whine. If it only makes noise in the lower gears it could be a bearing problem or a thrust washer problem and the main and counter shaft gears are meshing too close, top gear is right next to a roller bearing at the input end of the case and the other end is supported by the pilot in the end of the engine crankshaft so it will always have better support then the other gears maybe this is why it is quiet. If it was in service and developed a noise it would be easier to diagnose but because someone rebuilt it makes it harder to figure out.

Avalanche

Reaction score
Did you talk to the builder yet ? Depends on the gears used, the viscosity of the trans fluid, fluid level. Have you checked any of these things yet as recommended ? Ask the same question, get the same answer.

What I'm trying to find out is if the trans makes any kind of noise at normal operation.
I'm not asking the same question.
The builder is a friend of mine and is out of town at the moment.
I had a cuda about 10 years ago and it made some noise. But it could of needed work also, I just dont know, I ask these questions here since we all drive the same cars!

My only question is does the tranny make noise normally or is it quiet?
Which Aussiemark has answered, Thank you.

moparleo

Reaction score
aussiemark did give more detail of what I was saying. There could be several things going on. If in doubt and you know who rebuilt the trans and he has a lot of experience doing this, wait til he gets back and ask him. It is always easier to diagnose problems when you are actually there. All we can do is guess and give you possibilities.

72ls5fla

Reaction score
hi --

im not 100% sure but the 18 spline HEMI box has a different cut gear in it, than on the standard 833 23 spline.
It is cut kinda like a M22 Muncie and those things are noisy as hell in 1-3

the gears are straight cut, not on an angle and that makes them whiny/noisy. And hard to break...

just my 2 cents.. LOL

aussiemark

Reaction score
All the forward gears in the 18 and 23 spline are helical cut you will find helical cut gears even in large truck transmissions and they have to cope with loads far exceeding loads on any car. I would wait for your friend to get back and have a look or speak with someone from Brewers or Passon I am no expert on A833's but do know a bit about transmissions in general.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Just spoke with a guy who knows a lot about transmissions and he told me the pitch of the helical cut gears can vary from the standard and heavy duty transmissions. This is done to reduce the thrust load or put simply it reduces the amount of force trying to push the main and counter shafts out of the transmission case.The heavy duty (18 spline) may have helical cut of 20 degrees for example while the 23 spline may have a 30 degree gear cut angles. this change in angles may account for a little more in the way of noise but best have your friend check no it just in case.

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
Some of the 18 splines seem to whine but I've never had a 23 spline that whined in forward gears.

Sheldon

Back