• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Does anyone ever make their twin bulge hoods functional?

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
One of the things that has surprised me the most about the Barracuda as I learn about them, is that the twin bulge hoods aren't functional. They look cool, but they don't do anything to add air flow to the engine compartment. In my opinion, it's useless to have something on a car that is supposed to be performance-oriented, but ends being ONLY for looks (kinda like the faux beadlock wheels on 4x4 trucks).

Here's my question. I'm sure at least one person out there in the world has cut out the scoops on these hoods to make them functional, but 1) is it common practice, and 2) does it hurt the resale price of the hood? I know it's my car and I can do what I want to it, but is it frowned upon when people do this? And I ask about the resale value of the hood, because ultimately I think I'd like to go with an AAR style hood. I just can't afford it at the moment.

As a temporary solution, I'd like to cut out the scoops to increase air flow in the engine compartment, mostly because I live in southern Arizona and summer (and 110+ degree temps) is quickly approaching. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Image borrowed from the web.

DSC00687.JPG

Poolshark314

Reaction score
There were a couple other threads about doing this, but I think the consensus was that since they weren't designed to be functional, it may actually hinder performance by messing with the airflow and causing turbulence

hofilbert

Reaction score
Keep or sell the OEM hood, and buy a fiberglas AAR or twinbulge repro hood. Dont' chop up something OEM that is only getting harder to find when someone else might be looking for your style hood. Buy a replacement new hood and have at it.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
There were a couple other threads about doing this, but I think the consensus was that since they weren't designed to be functional, it may actually hinder performance by messing with the airflow and causing turbulence
That’s interesting, thanks for the input. I suppose I could’ve searched the forum for previous threads — hate to be that guy. Well I guess that explains why I don’t see any that have been cut when I do an image search online.
Keep or sell the OEM hood, and buy a fiberglas AAR or twinbulge repro hood. Dont' chop up something OEM that is only getting harder to find when someone else might be looking for your style hood. Buy a replacement new hood and have at it
Thanks. That was another reason I was hesitant to go chopping it up. It’s in great condition, and I’m sure there would be someone eager to have it as-is, so it would be a shame to alter it just for the sake of having a temporary solution. It gets pretty hot here, and with headers/closed hood I’m always watching the temp gauge like a hawk.

I think I’ll save the time and effort, and spare the hood. I thought about going with a shaker hood, but it seems to be pretty difficult to piece meal everything together. The only kits I could find included a lot of what I already have and couldn’t find a shaker bubble by itself.

Reaction score
I had a hood that someone did the modification that you are talking about. I had a hard time selling it, no one wanted a cut up hood. You have gotten great advice from other members, don't cut your stock rally hood.
I have a spare OEM shaker bubble and a 4BBl base plate that I would consider selling if you want to go the shaker route, although with the seal around the adapter ring sealing the hood to the top of the motor I can't see how that will help your cooling issue.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
You know, that's something I didn't even think about. I've never owned a car with a shaker setup, so I was not clear as to how it worked. I think I will stick with the plan for the AAR hood and leave my OEM hood unmolested.

Can anyone chime in as far as lift-off hoods vs hinged? Is a lift-off hood always a 2 person job?

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
This has been done a thousand times & most ended up as hack jobs. Like others have said, do it to a fiberglass hood & store the original.

rklein71

Reaction score
You know, that's something I didn't even think about. I've never owned a car with a shaker setup, so I was not clear as to how it worked. I think I will stick with the plan for the AAR hood and leave my OEM hood unmolested.

Can anyone chime in as far as lift-off hoods vs hinged? Is a lift-off hood always a 2 person job?
I had a fiberglass shaker hood on a 70 Challenger back in the mid eighties that was held on with hood pins. It was easy to take off by myself... I just grabbed the hood by the hole and lifted it off. Piece of cake, and it wasn't hard to put on either.

hofilbert

Reaction score
Just yesterday, I saw a black AAR hood (functional repro) on FB Marketplace?? maybe, or FB Ebodies. Looked nice and ready to go. I can't find it now.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Thanks! Great forum here. I'm going to leave the hood alone and focus on more important things like a soft-shifting transmission..... Best believe you'll be seeing some questions from me in the transmission section! Haha.