• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Don't pile drive me (Leaded vs. unleaded) gas.

TexasTorred

Reaction score
Hello E-Body and fellow Mopar fanatics,

Quick question. (Yes, I did do a search so plz don't pile drive me:)

Leaded vs. unleaded gasoline. Always wondered what you all are running with your e-bodies. Did you or do you have to lower the compression ratios (or 'harden' the engine valve springs) to run pump (unleaded) gas?

Or crunching up some pencils and adding to your tanks LOL. Thanks all.

greg

burntorange70

Reaction score
Can't buy leaded gas any more. Either have to put in some kind of additive (don't know if they even have such a thing) or hardened valve seats. I put in hardened seats my self.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
If I can still remember correctly the lead in gas was simply a lubricating agent for the valve seats. Replace your valve seats if that has not already been done and you're good to go. Lead additives are still available in the auto parts stores around here suprisingly, but they haven't used lead in pencils for some time as well, graphite, which does nothing for your valve seats.:D

TexasTorred

Reaction score
If I can still remember correctly the lead in gas was simply a lubricating agent for the valve seats. Replace your valve seats if that has not already been done and you're good to go. Lead additives are still available in the auto parts stores around here suprisingly, but they haven't used lead in pencils for some time as well, graphite, which does nothing for your valve seats.:D

Thanks :) Save me buying more school supplies with graphite in them :)

Take care...
greg

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
If I can still remember correctly the lead in gas was simply a lubricating agent for the valve seats. Replace your valve seats if that has not already been done and you're good to go. Lead additives are still available in the auto parts stores around here suprisingly, :D
Lead was a cheap way of raising the octane rating of the fuel as well as a lubricant, there are now different chemicals (read expensive) used to raise the octane rating but they don't lubricate the seats.

R/T4speedconv

Reaction score
For the longest time we only had unleaded gas here in the USA. The Chrysler Flathead 6 was built for unleaded up to 1959. I would not worry about the gas now days (except for ethanol ) and just run the car. If you end up with valve trouble have the heads re-built and put in harden seats then and you will be set for life.

Back