• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Door hinge pin

John h

Reaction score
He all,
I'm new to the forum. I actually found it because I was on the Cuda-Challenger forum quite a bit. I'm sure there is a lot of great info here. I have searched some of the pages but I did not quickly see any exact results. I'm sorry if this has been answered. I have a sagging Drivers door. I wan tot do the pin and busing kit. IS it possible to do this without removing the door? I have pretty good gaps right now and don't want to mess things up if I don't need to. I can see where it would be a lot easier with no door on the hinge but I will likely be doing this alone.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I don't think so. Really need to clamp the hinge in a vice and use a drill press to make sure you don't waller out the hole.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You will have to take off the hinge and rebuild it. If you don't have the tools to rebuild it, one of our members, Moparleo, rebuilds them. Put the blue masking tape around the door edge, rocker edges, and fender edges before you do anything. This will minimize any possible damage to your paint. Finding a helper will be a big benefit also.

moparleo

Reaction score
Now you are talking my game. DO NOT, repeat DO NOT drill out the lower hinge to fit any kind of bushing. These hinges were never intended to be rebuilt and the "pin kits" that others sell in plain plastic bags( with non instructions ) are not for hinges made before 1978. The post 78 truck and van hinges went through a design change and came with lower bushings from the factory. The only way to properly remove the play in the lower hinges is to drill and ream to fit an over sized pivot pin. If you would like to have your hinges returned to like new performance, there is more to it than replacing a pin. I don't know where you are located but I will be at the Spring Fling in Van Nuys, California on the 11th & 12th of this month. I will have plenty of A,B & E-body hinges that are ready for paint and installation or you can drop off a set that you want rebuilt and I can get them back to you in just a few days. Please let me know that you are an active FEBO member to get your member discount.
http://www.cpwclub.com/springevents/content-2/

Last edited:

John h

Reaction score
Now you are talking my game. DO NOT, repeat DO NOT drill out the lower hinge to fit any kind of bushing. These hinges were never intended to be rebuilt and the "pin kits" that others sell in plain plastic bags( with non instructions ) are not for hinges made before 1978. The post 78 truck and van hinges went through a design change and came with lower bushings from the factory. The only way to properly remove the play in the lower hinges is to drill and ream to fit an over sized pivot pin. If you would like to have your hinges returned to like new performance, there is more to it than replacing a pin. I don't know where you are located but I will be at the Spring Fling in Van Nuys, California on the 11th & 12th of this month. I will have plenty of A,B & E-body hinges that are ready for paint and installation or you can drop off a set that you want rebuilt and I can get them back to you in just a few days. Please let me know that you are an active FEBO member to get your member discount.
http://www.cpwclub.com/springevents/content-2/

Thanks for the info. I'm in wisconsin so I wont be able to make the show. HA. I do appreciate the info. I can always go the purchase and send back the core route. Its one of the annoying things about our large door cars.

Thanks again.
John

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The crash bar weighs about the same as the door shell with the bar removed.

Back