• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dream Car build ideas and questions.

drobertson

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm David Roberson. I have always loved the E body platform... but couldn't find any. Right now I daily drive a 1973 Charger (B-body), but now I want to build an E body. A 1970 Challenger to be specific. I'd like to build the car using all new metal, including the frame. I found that Dynacorn makes a body shell for the Challenger, but have heard only bad things about it, including the insane 18k price. As I continued to look, I found reproduction 1970 Challenger Skeletons made by Weld-Thru inside a brochure for classic industries. I was wondering whether anybody has seen these and know of their construction quality. Price is way better at about 9k. My budget for this car would be about 45k over the next few years. I'm not looking to restore another car, but to build a new E-body. Thanks!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City!
I know nothing about the aftermarket bodies but if certain things about getting what you pay for hold true I would expect twice the headaches for the 9K body.
I'm going to just put it out there and say you can't make a Challenger for 45K without starting with a complete car. I'm guessing that the price tag on the parts alone would be well over 45K.

Last edited:

js29

Reaction score
Not to mention what to do about registering and title. is your state going to call for all modern emissions!

drobertson

Reaction score
Nah I'm in Wyoming. The state with the lowest population regardless of its huge size. We have no vehicular emission testing, and can apply for a custom vin number. I have already checked with local authorities. I might be able to put 60k over the years into the project, and I like the idea of starting with a clean body.

volcanocar

Reaction score
it would be like getting a kit car title I would imagine. and if it would be classified as a kit car which I'm almost positive I would be then it still is only held to the safety and emissions regulations that the original car would have been held to. aside from the body though... I don't see why he couldn't get away with a running car for close to 45k? I mean unless its all going to be custom show car craziness then how much does some of this really add up to? the big stuff like engine/trans, rear end, front end, suspension, brakes... that's kinda easy to account for, its just the little stuff that nickel and dimes the project into infinium.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
If the fit and finish on repopped panels isn't perfect and very few are, what saves you is that you're installing them on a factory assembled unibody so you know where to make corrections to make them fit properly. If all of the panels fit and are shaped like the originals all of the bolt on items, glass, trim, bumpers etc will go together and you'll have a great factory looking fit and finish. If you start from scratch with a bunch of ill fitting panels from the ground up I see nothing but a nightmare. But again I have no personal experience with these complete body kits so this is just me thinking out loud.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have a question...why? There are still plenty of good cars out there if you are willing to spend the money. Get a clean car and build it how you want it. It will save you time, money, headaches, etc. You can buy a nice car in the $20's that is all together. Take it apart and make it your creation. The other benefit is it is a real car with a factory VIN; not a $45,000 kit car that looks like a Challenger.

Back