• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Drive Shaft Length

money pit

Reaction score
I just replace the 7 1/4 rear end with a 8 3/4. I have a 70 Barracuda, 360 with a 727 trans. It looks like I need to shorten the drive shaft. Does anyone have the specs for the length of the drive shaft? I'm going to measure it but I want to be sure I'm within specs. Thanks.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Should be 43.29 from c to c on u joint according to the chart! That would be for stock ride height. I would make sure I had 3/4 to 1 inch of slip yoke at the trans tail housing.

moparleo

Reaction score
Here you go...

Attachments

• 1969-1976-DRIVE SHAFT-SPECS.jpg
    1969-1976-DRIVE SHAFT-SPECS.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 228

money pit

Reaction score
Should be 43.29 from c to c on u joint according to the chart! That would be for stock ride height. I would make sure I had 3/4 to 1 inch of slip yoke at the trans tail housing.
Thanks for the info. Moparleo sent me a spec chart for the rear ends. You are correct on the length.

70chall440

Reaction score
are you working on the ground or on a lift? Either way, you can put jacks under the rear end and slow lift it until it is just barely on whatever you have supporting the rear of the car (jack stands or the lift), you are not at ride height minus a driver.

budascuda

Reaction score
are you working on the ground or on a lift? Either way, you can put jacks under the rear end and slow lift it until it is just barely on whatever you have supporting the rear of the car (jack stands or the lift), you are not at ride height minus a driver.
I had to stop and think, you mean lifting the rear of the car but not lifting it by the axle!

money pit

Reaction score
I'm going to measure the drive shift with the car on the ground, if I can get under it and I'm going to measure it with jack stands under the axel.

70chall440

Reaction score
I had to stop and think, you mean lifting the rear of the car but not lifting it by the axle!
What I am saying is if you are working on the ground get the car up so you can get under it and put it on jack stands (front and rear), the axle should be hanging down. Then using a floor jack/s lift the axle up to where it just about to come off the jack stands (probably get it off a little and then bring it back down to touching). This will be ride height or very close.

I've done this many times on a lift and on the ground and while it seems a bit complicated it really isn't. Personally I would use two jack (floor or bottle) to lift the axle up evenly, make sure to leave the jack stands in place and if the frame is touching them you should be good. The car will be supported by the front jack stands and the jacks with the rear jack stands in place "just in case".

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm going to measure the length but it's a little hard to measure it when the car is at ride height.

To keep my car at ride height, I made cribbing for each wheel to sit on while working on it. Cheap and very strong.
0083B81F-2131-40B5-AA14-F8066B1EA8AB.jpeg

Back