• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Drivers side A/C ducting

joekamm

Reaction score
I recently solved an old problem with the interior of my '73 340 'Cuda. A previous owner had stripped all of the A/C parts from the engine bay and several from the interior. I solved the engine bay side by pirating all the brackets and compressor ( including the proprietary fittings) from a mid 70's V8 Volare. I used the compressor as a core at autozone for a rebuilt . Bought a hose/drier
kit and a parallel flow condenser and had the guy who crimped my hoses braze the proprietary ends to of each hoses. I had the evaporator tested ( it Passed) and bought a new heater core and A/C box gasket set. It looks pretty factory stock but there were no rotary vane compressors in the e-bodies and I think it cleans it up quite a bit.

cuda compressor.jpg

joekamm

Reaction score
I also came up missing the drivers side duct from the distribution(?) block under the radio to the drivers dash vent. A friend encouraged me to make one from fiberglass. Here are some pics. it came out pretty nice.cuda ac.jpg

cuda ac.jpg

Avalanche

Reaction score
That look great!
Those are hard to find and if you do find one, you pay through the nose.
If they are easy to make, I'm sure there are some people ready to buy.

joekamm

Reaction score
It was a more time than money thing. Kind of a PITA on the side that turns up to the vent. Lots of trial and error. If i can do it anyone can. I made a mold from blue insulating foam glue together with upholstry spray glue. Make templates to match the ends and sand away at the foam until it is the right shape. Wrap the mold in clear packing tape. Fiberglass over the mold. Poke a big hole in each end and use acetone or laquer thinner. This should melt the blue foam and let you pull the blue goo and tape from the hole. Clean it up and fix any problems. It is just too easy to mix a little more glass and piddle until you are satisfied. The best thing is doesnt cost much to try it.
QUOTE=Avalanche;35831]That look great!
Those are hard to find and if you do find one, you pay through the nose.
If they are easy to make, I'm sure there are some people ready to buy.[/QUOTE]

joekamm

Reaction score
My factory duct falls everytime my foot hits it. How did you get yours to stay connected to the louvre?
There is supposed to be a very stiff clip at the top of the junction between the two, attached to the vent, You can sort of see it in the pictures. Having said that, I kicked mine off yesterday ! I may fiberglass bond a tab and srew it to the bottom edge of the dash. If I do , I will post a pic.

Buckminster

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the bit about acetone and the blue foam. I've been using epoxy to avoid the foam melting when making the mold. but that is an excellent idea for a disposable mold. Thank you!

Back