• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

E body longer rear shocks help ?

ming

Reaction score
Good evening, i change the rear shocks today and shocks seems short full extend, car sit pretty high and look like some heavy or SS springs, is there longer shocks brand, part numbers ?
I change shocks with car on ground thank you for any help.

20210307_180350.jpg

20201217_151951.jpg

Bobby Sixkiller

Reaction score
Some for a 72 to 93 half ton might fit. They are a tad longer I think

70chall440

Reaction score
Go to some of the higher end shock manufacturers websites, some have overall length. Find a length that will work, look at the part number, cross reference that to a vehicle. Remember to look at the attachment methods to make sure they are right for your car.

moparleo

Reaction score
I assume you have air shocks back there. Take them off( before you damage the shock mount cross member) and get the proper springs. Then you can use the proper shocks. Shocks aren't too short, rear end is up too high.

fasjac

Reaction score
Good evening, i change the rear shocks today and shocks seems short full extend, car sit pretty high and look like some heavy or SS spri
And, should you have an adjustable pinion snubber, make sure it’s not touching the floor just sitting there. I’ve seen it before. Also, See if you can find a part number on the springs
Nice looking ride!

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Yes, you could use longer shocks if you are going to keep the back jacked up. If I remember correctly, I used shocks for a Chrysler imperial as they are 2 inches longer And mount the same as an E body.

fasjac

Reaction score
And, should you have an adjustable pinion snubber, make sure it’s not touching the floor just sitting there. I’ve seen it before. Also, See if you can find a part number on the springs
Nice looking ride!
And welcome to the site from Arkansas!

budascuda

Reaction score
I don't think you are supposed to prop up the car with the shocks. That's not their function.

ming

Reaction score
Thank you for all the information will look
Thank you

moparleo

Reaction score
What type of shocks did you install ?
Standard shocks only dampen the springs compression/rebound cycle.
They do no effect height Unless you install some type of air assisted or spring assisted shock.
Again, your shocks are probably not too short. Your car is raised too high. A longer shock will extend farther BUT it will not collapse as far.
So it can bottom out and be damaged or cause damage to the shock mounts. What did you do?

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I have SS leafsprings on my '74 chally and noticed that the shocks would fully extend before the ss leafs could do their job. I ended up installing truck shocks KYB part# KG54342 (25.78” long) that my buddy had but never ended up using. I had to enlarge the bottom mounting hole to make it work.

But for a exact fit I would go thru the shock manufactures web site (which ever brand you want) and pick a shock. They usually list all the specs, length, mounting hole...etc

Back