• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

E-body sunroof cars

sdweatherman

Reaction score
All,
Been gathering information on early power sunroof Mopars ever since I liberated a 1971 sunroof Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus from a salvage yard in 2012. Here are the 1970 through 1972 Challengers that I have run across so far, along with the one year only 1972 Barracudas - just follow the links. I will update this page every once in a while as additional cars are discovered. If any of these links come up as broken, please PM me and I will get them fixed. If you would like to add a sunroof car to one of these pamphlets - just send me a PM!

Enjoy! Scott.

1970 sunroof Challengers:
http://www.blackhillsmopars.org/files/pdf/Sunroof1970DodgeChallengers.pdf - updated 12/20/2015

1971 sunroof Challengers:
http://www.blackhillsmopars.org/files/pdf/Sunroof1971DodgeChallengers.pdf - updated 5/16/2015

1972 sunroof Challengers:
http://www.blackhillsmopars.org/files/pdf/Sunroof1972DodgeChallengers.pdf - updated 11/12/2015

1972 sunroof 'Cudas/Barracudas:
http://www.blackhillsmopars.org/files/pdf/Sunroof1972PlymouthBarracudas.pdf- updated 11/13/2015

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It's a cool option. Very heavy though. The factory recomended more tire pressure with a sunroof car. I have one to be put back together. When the sunroof rusted the car had a hardtop put on it. When I bought it, I got the original roof with the car. I since, have gathered most of the parts to put it back together. You will find that it is hard to document a sunroof car. Steven Juliano knows more about them than anyone as far as how they go together and what parts to use.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Bump - Updated the 1972 Challenger page with an additional Chally. Added a page for 1971 sunroof Challengers.

Enjoy! Scott.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Bump - Finished up the 1970 Challengers that I have run across so far. I will update these pamphlets periodically as more sunroof cars come to light. If you would like to add a sunroof Challenger/Barracuda that is not posted here - just send me a PM and we will get'er done.
Thanks,
Scott.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Hi Scott the 1970 B5 blue sunroof Challenger is now in Western Australia I bought it about 2 years ago found it on carsonline.com the seller also had it listed on Ebay but ended the auction when I enquired about it. Highly optioned with power windows, power steering, cruise control, power disc brakes, six way driver's seat, sure grip, console slap stick, rear demister, 8 track and air conditioner. I am the 3rd owner the guy I bought it from restored it and the original owner still lives in California the option code for the sunroof is not on the fender tag but it has a number 1 stamped in the sunroof box on the build sheet I have read that other sunroof cars also don't have the code on the fender tag regards Mark.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Hi Scott the 1970 B5 blue sunroof Challenger is now in Western Australia I bought it about 2 years ago found it on carsonline.com the seller also had it listed on Ebay but ended the auction when I enquired about it. Highly optioned with power windows, power steering, cruise control, power disc brakes, six way driver's seat, sure grip, console slap stick, rear demister, 8 track and air conditioner. I am the 3rd owner the guy I bought it from restored it and the original owner still lives in California the option code for the sunroof is not on the fender tag but it has a number 1 stamped in the sunroof box on the build sheet I have read that other sunroof cars also don't have the code on the fender tag regards Mark.

Good to hear from you Mark! Yes, that car is loaded and probably garners a lot of attention, especially in Australia. I hope you are able to get that car out once in awhile to some local/regional shows. Yes, about 99% of the early Mopar power sunroof cars did not have the option code on the fender tag. Most cars did have a special VON on the fender tag that indicates it as a sunroof car, but I have run across a few 1971 Chryslers and a few 1970 Challengers that are an exception to this rule. They do, however, have the sunroof option indicated on the build sheet. Happy motoring!
Scott.

Last edited:

wmann

Reaction score
1971 challenger 340 / 4sp R/T sunroof challenger

I have a GK6 340 R/t sunroof challenger. It's a really nice to drive car.

All,
Been gathering information on early power sunroof Mopars ever since I liberated a 1971 sunroof Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus from a salvage yard in 2012. Here are the 1970 through 1972 Challengers that I have run across so far, along with the one year only 1972 Barracudas - just follow the links. I will update this page every once in a while as additional cars are discovered. If any of these links come up as broken, please PM me and I will get them fixed. If you would like to add a sunroof car to one of these pamphlets - just send me a PM!

Enjoy! Scott.

1970 sunroof Challengers:
http://www.blackhillsmopars.org/files/pdf/Sunroof1970DodgeChallengers.pdf - updated 12/09/2014

1971 sunroof Challengers:
http://www.blackhillsmopars.org/files/pdf/Sunroof1971DodgeChallengers.pdf

1972 sunroof Challengers:
http://www.blackhillsmopars.org/files/pdf/Sunroof1972DodgeChallengers.pdf - updated 12/22/2014

1972 sunroof 'Cudas/Barracudas:
http://www.blackhillsmopars.org/files/pdf/Sunroof1972PlymouthBarracudas.pdf

aussiemark

Reaction score
Just a quick note for anyone with a factory sunroof if you need a new switch they are the same as BMW power window switches fitted to cars of the same era and are currently being remade by Bosch the OEM supplier I have the part # somewhere PM me if you need it.

wmann

Reaction score
It's got PS & PB, 4sp with console, am radio, rear defrost, pedal trim, 6 way seat..... There are probably some that I've missed. It's safely tucked away for the winter.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Hey wmann, I have your car listed on the first page of the 1971 cars - the one without a picture - K6-Dark Bronze/340/4spd. Would you like to add a pic of your car to the 1971 pamphlet of sunroof cars?
Thanks, Scott.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Updated the 1970 sunroof Challenger pamphlet at the beginning of this thread for the car that was for sale on Craigslist in Gilbert, AZ in February.
Scott.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Update bump - a couple of new 70s and a couple of new 71s - enjoy!
Scott.

AFMBR

Reaction score
much appreciated sdweatherman, I really like the sunroof option and I like that somebody is documenting them

sdweatherman

Reaction score
much appreciated sdweatherman, I really like the sunroof option and I like that somebody is documenting them

Thanks AFMBR!

A couple more 71 Challengers, and a couple more Barracudas have come to light. The docs at the top of the first page have been updated. Enjoy!
Scott.

wmann

Reaction score
Hey wmann, I have your car listed on the first page of the 1971 cars - the one without a picture - K6-Dark Bronze/340/4spd. Would you like to add a pic of your car to the 1971 pamphlet of sunroof cars?
Thanks, Scott.

Here are a couple of pictures from this Spring's dust-off... Thanks for creating a place to list and track these unique cars.

1971 sunroof May 2015 side (Copy).jpg

1971 sunroof May 2015 front (Copy).jpg

1971 sunroof May 2015 side (Copy).jpg

1971 sunroof May 2015 front (Copy).jpg

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Gorgeous car wmann!
Thank you very much for sharing it. Scott. Will update the pamphlet shortly.

Last edited:
Back