• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electric Fan?

Brads70

Reaction score
I would spend the $$ the other way & order a 26 " rad to fit the car & use one of the shrouds you have . overall electric fans are not very efficient & eat a LOT of power , simple 18" Flex A Lite fan with a clutch will out perform virtually all electric fans
Listen to Neil,
I've spend over $1000 trying different electric fans and rads...... getting ready to install a simple flex fan.

72brcda

Reaction score
I would have preferred to go that way, but a few years ago I had a bigger radiator put in (I think it was for a big block C body), but no shroud and I couldn't find a shroud that fits. It's been miss after miss trying to order one online. I'm confident that this new electric set-up will work and it looks REALLY good. It'll free up some horsepower too.

Yatzee

Reaction score
I run a Spall 16" controlled by a Dakota Digital electronic controller. Never trusted thermal tubes inserted in the rad or under the rad hose. Check them out because they are full featured with even a cool down cycle. My fan is low draw, very flat for tight spaces and I believe 3500 c.f.m. The controller will vary the fan speed for different
cooling situations. It uses a thermal sensor threaded into the engine block or water pump. My 383, 395 H.P. runs quite cool with a 22 inch tall rad that is stock but then again I would never mount anything directly in front of the rad. There's too many options available for cooling power steering and transmissions. It should be noted that I
have also installed a full flow thermostat by Mr. Gasket. I seldom hit 185 degrees on a hot day ( 82 - 90 ) at 2800 r.p.m. and 70 m.p.h. I never see fluctuations on voltage when the fan kicks in and I'm running (get this ) a 1978 Toyota pickup alternator (95 amp ) with internal regulator. It's compact, mounts directly and is unobtrusive in the
engine bay. Read about this mod online and gave it a try - never looked back. I'm not a purist. You could have a sheet metal shop fab a super looking split fan shroud for almost any car as long as you know the dimensions. Chevy use to use what looked like the end of a sewer pipe for shrouds. A buddy of mine had his made for a Cuda and I think it looks and works better than his cracked one. Just a bit of rambling.

Back