• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electric Fan?

72brcda

Reaction score
Juuuust about done with a total resto on my 72 Barracuda and it's actually better than new now. A few years ago I had a bigger radiator put in (I think it was for a big block C body), but no shroud and I can't find a shroud that fits. It's been miss after miss trying to order one online so I was thinking of going with an electric fan and ditching the belt driven one. Problem is that there are so many choices and I'd like to do this once. Can anyone recommend something they're using that installs cleanly and works? I've got a 340 and 904 in the car. Thanks.

72brcda

Reaction score
Hi and thanks. The radiator is 23" high (core is 17" high) x 26" wide. mounting bolts are 27.5" apart left to right.

downtime!

Reaction score
I have a very similar shroud on my 440 powered Scamp, and my experience with that style is that they block a lot of air flow at higher speeds. The Scamp would actually heat up going down the highway. I drilled several 1.5" holes in it, above and below the fans and in between, and that stopped the heating up on the highway.

If I had to do it all over again, and had the room to fit it in (there is only 4" of clearance between the core and the water pump pulley on the Scamp), I would fit something like a single 16" Black Magic fan and shroud. Good cfm rating (3300, IIRC) and a more factory style shroud. http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/188/10002/-1?parentProductId=756607#moreDetails

72brcda

Reaction score
That one looks good! My only concern is that maybe it's too small to fit properly with my radiator. Fan is 21-1/2" x 17-1/2" and my rad is 23" x 26"

downtime!

Reaction score
They make several different sizes. Also, the research I've done shows Derale and SPAL both to be excellent choices as well. I also found out that the BeCool drop in kits for high horsepower A bodies do not use shrouds at all, but mount the fan(s) directly to the core.

72brcda

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info, maybe I'll call Flex A Lite and do this only once.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would spend the $$ the other way & order a 26 " rad to fit the car & use one of the shrouds you have . overall electric fans are not very efficient & eat a LOT of power , simple 18" Flex A Lite fan with a clutch will out perform virtually all electric fans

mmissile

Reaction score
Money is always a concern, but I agree with Chryco Psycho. You can always add an electric to the front, for in traffic. The more electric accessories...the bigger alternator you need. So, it's always the weak link and money.

72brcda

Reaction score
Yeah, kinda makes me nervous but they have a lifetime guarantee.

mmissile

Reaction score
I try not to buy chi-com stuff. It's tough and more expensive to buy U.S. and/or local....but somebody in this country has to support their family. Eventually it could happen to anybody here.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
no sure the fans could block more air flow than they are worth , at minimum you need to have the fans on a thermostat so they are off when you are moving , may work out for you

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The only small block vehicle I have is an 85 Dodge truck. It has a slightly modified 360 with 340 heads. It has the stock radiator, stock fan, and shroud. It also has close to 300,000 miles without a problem with that set up. It would be fair to say that 100,000 of those miles were spent towing. I build a lot of resto mods for a living. They use the new aluminum radiators. Shrouds and fans are available for the radiators and again they work fine. You need to have a package that was made to work together. Many factory C and E radiators are interchangeable. What is the number that is on the top of your radiator tank?

72brcda

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the aluminum radiator with the dual electric fans and out of the box, the quality looks really good. I'll post some pics once installed.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
What kind is it? Some need a few holes in the shoud to keep things cool when you are moving. The thermostats kick out too early on the Champion models.

72brcda

Reaction score
Yes, it's a Champion. I'll see how it performs first before drilling any holes in the shroud. Thanks for the tip.

Back