• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

engine assembly question, oil pan

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
I have my 440 all painted up and ready to be dropped into my 71 challenger, but I hit a snag. Now that I am getting older, my memory has slipped me. What is the order that the oil pan, gasket, and windage tray go on? From the engine does it go windage tray, gasket, oil pan? Or does it go gasket, windage tray, oil pan? Any help?

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
I just realized there was another gasket sitting on the windage tray that is real thin. Thanks, and I sent the $ for the sun visors.

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
I know I need to put gasket sealer on the gasket that goes on the oil pan, but do I need to put it on the gasket that goes on the tray?

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I put small amount on all surfaces, just becareful when torqueing. go small even increments and watch to make sure gaskets dont start to distort and pan bend as well.

moparleo

Reaction score
Or you can get one of the new rubber gaskets that you can't over tighten and I would use Gasgacinch for your gasket sealer.
I have used over 40 years. It can be used for any type of gasket and in any application like water, oil, fuel,. Also allows you to disassemble multiple times with out damaging gaskets.

Back