• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine fire in Cuda. Any insurance advice?

rodcuda

Reaction score
Yesterday I had an engine backfire that blew off the cast aluminum valve cover sending oil onto the headers and causing an instant engine fire. I think the exterior paint is ok but the engine compartment paint is damaged along with the engine paint, wiring and some other accessories including some shaker parts. The adjuster has not been out yet but I would like some ammo for when the adjuster does show up. My insurance is through Condon and Skelly which specializes in classic cars and is part of Metlife. I am pretty sure the adjuster does not specialize in classic cars and I am expecting to get lowballed.

I sure would like some advice or maybe some pointers from someone who has been through this..

The car is a 2 or a nice 3 and prior to the fire the engine compartment paint was near perfect as was the engine and accessories. While it may not take much to make it driveable it will take a lot to put it back like it was.

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow - rough.

First of all, you should have a written estimate from a shop in hand if you can. You might be better off with a non classic adjuster as he may be swayed by your written estimate.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
.........Be honest......get some written estimates as stated by joey.........stand your ground cause it probably wont be a smoothe ride.....find out what comparable cars are worth.............kim..................

Cudaized

Reaction score
This may be a different type of case but a friend of mine had an incident with a summer cabin that contained a few antiques and burned down during the winter. The adjuster did not believe that the stuff was in the cabin and in a round about way threatened criminal charges for insurance fraud. Luckily my friend had old pictures and videos of the place and was able to collect. Get as much documentation as you can on the cars condition prior to the fire. I try to keep current photos and videos of my car because you never know what can happen, also make sure you have the plate number visible in them.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Some good advice here, sorry about your car, that sucks. Also wouldn't hurt to dig up any pertinant receipts from parts and labor that you have had done on this part of the car. Good Luck!. Let us know how it goes.

rodcuda

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The adjuster is supposed to be here tuesday. I am getting a parts list with prices together and am going to try and get an estimate.

rodcuda

Reaction score
Well the adjuster came out and came up with a number 30% higher than what I had come up with. The adjuster was very good and fair and looked parts on the Internet to determine costs. The adjuster determined the engine needed to come out of the car and be disassembled to detail and paint it to get it back to the condition it was in before the fire and of course the engine compartment will be repainted and all damaged items replaced.

Cudaized

Reaction score
Congratulations

Happy to hear it worked for you. Sometimes insurance claims can become a real pain. What insurance company do you have they sound like they know what they are doing. :D

Back