• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine stamping numbers

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a question on the lower stamping numbers above the oil pan. I have included a photo of the stamping I am real curious to know what they stand for.
I bought a 1973 Challenger and the story I got from the widow was when her husband bought the car he wanted a big block but as we all know in 73 no big blocks were offered.
So he bought the car and ordered a 440 6 pack motor from the factory and had the dealership swap the motors.
So I have included 3 pic's 1st lower stamping 2nd block casting numbers 3rd upper stamp pad

Block Stamping numbers (lower Block).jpg

Block Casting Numbers.jpg

Block Stamping Numbers (upper block).jpg

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
I'm not a numbers guru, but your top photo of the pad above the oil pan rail showing 1C119939 indicates that this engine came out of a car with a VIN ending in those numbers. The first 1 indicates that it came from a 1971 model year car. C designates the build plant, so we know if didn't come out of an E-body. Someone here more knowledgeable than me can probably tell you whether it came out of a C or B body. Looks like the block was cast in 1970.

If the widow's story was true, I believe that the oil pan rail pad would be blank.

pschlosser

Reaction score
It doesn't have the numbers of a 440 HP motor. It looks like a 1971 model-year 440 (not HP) engine that could have come from a number of cars, including station wagons or mobile homes. It's not that big a deal. But the "dealer installed 440-6 motor in 1973" seems anecdotal, especially considering the early 1973 fuel crisis and stock marker crash.

Last edited:

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
Again, I'm no authority here, but results of a few quick web searches suggest that the "C" in that VIN sequence indicates that this motor came from a car built at Chrysler's Jefferson, MI plant and that Chrysler only built C bodies at that plant in 1971.

Xcudame

Reaction score
The block is a common 66-72 casting number. The casting date indicates it was cast on May 21, 1970 on the day shift. The G440 indicates a 71 engine (E=69, F=70, G=71, etc.). And it was assembled on September 16, 1970 on second shift (the "2" stamped on the pad). If it was a six-pack motor, the pad would also have an "HP2" since it was assembled on the second shift. No "HP" or "HP2" translates to a 440 most likely from a C-Body as mentioned what was built at the Jefferson Plant ("C" on the oil pan rail pad).

Regardless, enjoy it for what it is!!

Back