• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Extremely light wheel

Mopewbie

Reaction score
Hi all.
Apparently this was a stupid question for a Facebook group and despite having loads of good answer it was deleted before I had a chance to look at I properly.
So I hope it will be different here.

Here we go, the Challenger has a EXTREMELY light power steering to the point where it's quite dangerous sometimes. I would like it a bit stiffer, how can I do that?

The few replies I saw people where suggesting to install something or something caster related?

Thank you very much.

Montclaire

Reaction score
You can shim the valve in the steering pump. I just did mine and wish I went a little further as it’s still on the light side.

Titan1969

Reaction score
May not be related however check the level of the car. You want to be sure the front of the car has enough weight to supply more feedback on the PS / wheel. Often as the rear springs sag, weight shifts to the rear making the steering feel very light. I experienced this on both a PS '73 440 CI Challenger and now with my MS '73 340 CI Cuda. In both cases , once I replaced the original springs with new and car lifted in the rear to factory stance , steering gave much improved feedback.

70chall440

Reaction score
Most Mopar PS was very "light" even when new, however back in the day we didn't know any better. Shimming the PS will give you some "feel".

AUSTA

Reaction score
Never had a lot of luck with shimming seemed to be to much or not enough used the plunger from a ford pump drops the pressure aroung 300psi it has a different size return bleed hole

Mopewbie

Reaction score
Thank you all. I'll try to check the valve tomorrow.

Most Mopar PS was very "light" even when new, however back in the day we didn't know any better. Shimming the PS will give you some "feel".
Yes, agree. Had some cars like that in the past but this one seems a bit too much. My 1970 GTX in the other hand is perfect, very firm.

AUSTA

Reaction score
I think the ford lower pressure units may be for rack & pinion here is a bit from the Tuff Stuff site
Tuff Stuff Saginaw style pumps feature all new components including reservoir and pump assembly. A billet style chrome cap, new dipstick and hardware are also included. Pumps are 1200 PSI rated @3GPM to work with most gearbox systems. An optional 850 PSI valve rated @2GPM is available for Mustang II rack and pinion applications. The Type II style pump is compact in size and ideal for tight installations. For use with factory or remote reservoir tank depending upon part number. Type II pumps are rated at 1200 PSI @3GPM. An optional 850 PSI valve rated @2GPM is also available. Perfect for vehicles with limited engine space. Type II pumps are available in chrome plated, polished aluminum, various powder coated colors and Factory Cast PLUS+ finishes.

gzig5

Reaction score
Reduced PS assist pressure will make it heavier. Adjusting the suspension for more castor should help "feel", but requires aftermarket parts like the Moog offset bushings at least.

Firm Feel Stage 2 or 3 rebuild

A lot of folks speak hightly of the Borgeson conversion, but it is more expensive.

SDChallenger

Reaction score
Hi all.
Apparently this was a stupid question for a Facebook group and despite having loads of good answer it was deleted before I had a chance to look at I properly.
So I hope it will be different here.

Here we go, the Challenger has a EXTREMELY light power steering to the point where it's quite dangerous sometimes. I would like it a bit stiffer, how can I do that?

The few replies I saw people where suggesting to install something or something caster related?

Thank you very much.
I had the same issue with my 1972 Challenger Rallye. Sent the ps box to Firm Feel for a rebuild (Stage 2). Could not be happier...just the right amount of feel driving down the road, without killing me trying to maneuver in a parking lot.

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
In my opinion, if you have the PS gear box rebuilt, just step up to the Level/Stage-3.... the level-2 isn't much better than than the old worn original level. I have a FF Stage-3 (T/A gear box with a Sagnaw ps pump)... and its better than before, but could've still been better/firmer. Its OK and acceptable.. Everyone I know who has a level/stage-2 wishes they would've gone to -3.

Avalanche

Reaction score
In my opinion, if you have the PS gear box rebuilt, just step up to the Level/Stage-3.... the level-2 isn't much better than than the old worn original level. I have a FF Stage-3 (T/A gear box with a Sagnaw ps pump)... and its better than before, but could've still been better/firmer. Its OK and acceptable.. Everyone I know who has a level/stage-2 wishes they would've gone to -3.
I have a firm feel stage 3. Feels perfect, not to stiff.

Montclaire

Reaction score
I had a Level 2 box years ago, and it didn’t feel any different than my original 50k box. The only real advantage was that the stops were set up for FR steering.

A Lares rebuild will get you there for $150 instead of whatever FF or SNG is charging now. Or go Stage III. I’ve heard both good and bad about the Jeep/Borgeson box.

Back