• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Federal or Saginaw P/S pump on 440 and why?

TIMINATOR

Reaction score
I recently bought a 318 p/s and p/b 1972 Challenger less motor and am building a 440 stroker for it. Since several sources list both pumps and brackets for sale, which would be the better choice to purchase, and why? They both are close in price, but is one easier to get and although both are listed, is it more likely that one is backordered more often? Is the fitment easier or hoses more available for one than the other? Are they both essentially the same, but is one more correct for a 72 440 car? I also don't see that pulleys are available for either one. Are the pulleys interchangeable? I will also be installing a Vintage Air A/C kit, does that affect my choice of pumps?
I also can't decide on the body color either, Panther Pink, or Sub Lime, with a black vinyl roof and accent stripes. Thoughts?
TIMINATOR

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Saginaw pumps are readily available & are a better designed pump which is why they were used in later years .

TIMINATOR

Reaction score
OK. Saginaw pump it is.
Where do I find a pulley for it? Are they all the same or are there different off sets? When I buy hoses are they the same for both pumps or do I specify which pump I have?
Thanks!
TIMINATOR

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score

Mopar426power

Reaction score
That is a tough choice between colors...either one would look awesome though....

TIMINATOR

Reaction score
Most folks like the sublime, but the Panther Pink is a love it or hate it deal!
In between mopars I had a Panther Pink hi 9 sec. Street 72 chevelle and a blown 68 Panther Pink lo 9 sec. Street nova. My body shop guy said buy a mopar!
My plans are hi 9s in street trim on the motor and squeeze it to whatever it will run. But I do need my p/s, p/b, and vintage air! Here in Phoenix, AZ, a/c isn't a luxury, its a life support system!
TIMINATOR

Mopar426power

Reaction score
Gotcha! Here in Ohio we can get by with 2x60 air conditioning, 2 windows done at 60mph....

Back