• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

First Car

moparguy

Reaction score
Howdy,

I just bought a 1970 440 and have quite a few questions about it. I want to eventually put it into a 71 challenger. The 440 has the good 906 heads. i am having it bored 30 over. Already have new 30 over pistons. I am wondering what would be a good cam and intake manifold for it. The challenger would be my first car. still 15.

Thanks

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City, youngster! My advice to your question would be to try a stock or factory combination or maybe something that would have been considered a "hot" cam back in the day. Since you are only 15, I think you should feel what it was like to drive these cars when they were new to gain the due respect for them and this may also help to keep you out of trouble with the law while you explore your boundaries.
BTW, we like pics around here.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Welcome to the site!! I agree with DetMatt1. I would recommend a factory replacement HP 440 cam or something around the size of the 474 lift Direct Connection cam. What compression ratio is planned for the motor? What are you using the car for? A daily, A weekend crusier? Do you have the 71 Challenger now?

moparguy

Reaction score
No I don't have the challenger now. And thank you all for the advice and to DeMatt1 - I will put up a pic as soon as I can. A little background for all of the conversation would be that my dad told me I could get the challenger if he thought that I did a good job with a 440. He also wanted me to get the engine I wanted and build it up the way I want. I was looking at putting a weiand stealth intake on it and was wondering what you guys thought about that while still retaining the factory mopar heads. Also I was just wondering what size carb do you think would be appropriate I was thinking about a holley 800 double pumper.

Thanks again for everyones insight

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm with VeteranCosmicRocker mostly because of his/her screen name, that's awesome!
Seriously though, he is dead on for the intake and carb tip. Unless you were going with a bigger bumpstick then what has been talked about so far, 750 would be a good choice.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Speed kills.

cuda+crash.jpg

cuda+crash+2.jpg

VeteranCosmicRocker

Reaction score
This is the 2nd time I've seen a Cuda split in two after hitting a pole. Although the first time, it was in person back in the early 70's. That time, of the 3 in the car, only the driver survived.

VeteranCosmicRocker

Reaction score
I'm with VeteranCosmicRocker mostly because of his/her screen name, that's awesome!
Seriously though, he is dead on for the intake and carb tip. Unless you were going with a bigger bumpstick then what has been talked about so far, 750 would be a good choice.
Thank you. I am a "he" (as you are he & we are all together... )

moparguy

Reaction score
Thanks and I forgot to mention that I already have a pickup that I is going to be my daily driver. The challenger will be my fun-car.

Back