• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Flamming River vs FirmFeel

Cazbah362

Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding my front end on my 70 Cuda. This is not a restoration and will be a driver, drag and touring type car. I was looking at redoing my manual steering box. The price difference between a FirmFeel re-build with a 16:1 and a new Flamming River for me would be nearly the same. Which box would you go with and why? Any thoughts

70Cuda14

Reaction score
Yesterday, Firmfeel talked me out of a 20:1 and said the 16:1 was worse. They claim 90% don't like them. You may want to consider having that conversation with them. I ended up buying the 24:1.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
70Cuda - Thanks, 16:1 or 20:1, still the same price. I spoke with Dick at FirmFeel too, said the same thing to me as well. So, what did you do, re-build it yourself or did you have FirmFeel do it?

michael

Reaction score
When I had my front end rebuilt with pst bushings the steering box had slop in it. Sent box to firm feel the guy said 16:1 was good only for straight line steering wheel would not return to straight after coming out of turn. I went with the 20:1 with that heavyass 440 up there it's hard to turn when car is stopped. Pst plus 20:1 steering AND larger torsion bars really make a difference in handling especially the larger torsion bars.

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Michael - Thanks - what torsion bars did you go with. I went with the MP .960's

michael

Reaction score
I believe I got them from pst....1.03" is the diameter I'm sure..the shop who put them on warned me the car would ride rough but in my opinion it doesn't ..more control front end doesn't collapse in turns..original engine was a 383 so old bars were 0.89".

michael

Reaction score
I remember seperating the steering shaft from the box was a bear!!!would not want to repeat that anytime soon.

Canuck74

Reaction score
I remember seperating the steering shaft from the box was a bear!!!would not want to repeat that anytime soon.
I had to lay the torch down on mine like you wouldn't believe!

Cazbah362

Reaction score
Thanks guys, right now I am in the process of powder coating and re-bushing everything. LCA's are a PITA but coming along and should be ready to go back to the coaters by Monday. Torsion bars are coming from Jegs, MP .960's, strut rods are QA1's and decided to use PST's adjuster knuckles. Went to RockAuto for all MOOG bushings. Also, sent the steering box to Dick at FirmFeel today. I am going to stay with 24:1 for now, just re-build

Back