• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Floor prep/rust prevention before sound mat

Cmuller0420

Reaction score
I have pulled the interior out to get ready for a 4 speed swap and putting in sound mat. The floors overall are in pretty good shape, but there are little spots of surface rust.

I want to get ahead of it, especially before covering with sound mat etc.

how best to prep and protect? Someone recommended I wet sand and the use a rust paint?

it also looks like there is some kind of caulking or putty on seams - it just pulls right off, what is/what should I replace that with?

8808C370-113B-42BC-B5C6-85E8B02F568F.jpeg

1A6EDB9A-BE82-4D16-AA24-462380248A7D.jpeg

Rich G.

Reaction score
That’s seam sealer. If it’s pulling off I would just take it all off and put new stuff on. As you can see they weren’t very neat about it. If you’re putting stick on sound deadener you don’t have to go to crazy. Sand the rust off and use any good coating on it.

slantfish

Reaction score
peel off all the old seam sealer, dig it out where you can. get as much rust off as you can, otherwise it can come back to haunt you. I used chassis saver over my entire floor pan to seal it up (extra tip from my body guy: let it flow into the seams and joints to help prevent future rusting from the inside out), 3M seam sealer (there are plenty of good videos out there on how to apply. i bought 3M 08656 brushable 1qt and a few tubes of 08362) all around next. dynamat/fatmat next, insulation and carpet.

Back