• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

For anyone the has vapor recovery gas pumps

Prpl 6-Pk

Reaction score
We have these type of gas pumps here in California, had them for years. But I am having a problem getting the nozzle into the filler pipe because of
the recovery cover. Partly because I have the flip open cover with a twist off cap inside.

Is anyone having the same issue and have you found a work around???

Any help is appreciated!

Jeff

Prpl 6-Pk

Reaction score
Trying to hold a funnel and work the flippin' pump handle just would not work. In order to get fuel to flow from the nozzle, you have to
force the recovery collar back. When you use it on a modern car filler, you just shove it into the filler hole and that forces the recovery
seal back and allow the fuel to flow..

This is what they look like. The spring is pretty stout so trying to hold that back while holding a funnel...OOPS, I need a third
hand to squeeze the feed lever!!!

Jeff

18-7338-Product_Primary_Image__88357.1482873173__97653.1504814590.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
So you need to take your cordless drill and a set of spring compressor. I get it now a stout spring is the problem.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
After giving it a few minutes of thought. Wife just came home had to listen to her day. I believe that one can make up an adapter. use the gas cap locking portion. and modern fill tube part braze or weld together. Someone need a gasoline pickup part for their equipment. literally pick up scrape at our feet. in 15 min made the $500 part. still using it today. It can be done.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
After looking a little bit , there seems to be a partial solution. Make or find a funnel to accommodate the length of the nozzle and the end large enough for flow. weld or braze plate to funnel. Just a thought. looks like Bikers have a work around. I would think the spring rate would be much over 20 lb. Vapor Recovery Fuel Nozzle Tool - SuperHawk Forum

Attachments

• 26594d1501369405-vapor-recovery-fuel-nozzle-tool-dscn7265.jpg
    26594d1501369405-vapor-recovery-fuel-nozzle-tool-dscn7265.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 152

moparlee

Reaction score
We have those vapor recovery nozzles at a new COSTCO store in Michigan.
Probably going to see more and more of them around:elmer:

Last edited:

Iguana

Reaction score
Yep, I have the same problem. Hard to articulate, but Ive found cocking the nozzle left or right will get it to pop past the flip top mechanism; and same to get it back out. But it stresses me out everytime.

Prpl 6-Pk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! I need to check the nozzles here to see if they have that step to be able to use the bikers plate..

Iguana: I will give the wiggle a try next time I put gas in it after I get the engine back from being rebuilt!

Other than that, I guess I'll just keep jammin' the stupid thing into the filler opening!

Jeff

SDChallenger

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 72 Challenger Rallye, and I REALLY DID move out of California! If I remember correctly, my workaround was simply to manually pull the cover back, and then feed the fuel. I didn't have to fuel often because I was putting about 500 miles/year on the car. The vapor capturing covers don't seem to be working in Cali, because most residents are still exhibiting symptoms of vapor inhalation. Get out while you can; if Trump gets re-elected in 2024 I am pushing him to build a border fence between California and the rest of the USA. :)

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 72 Challenger Rallye, and I REALLY DID move out of California! If I remember correctly, my workaround was simply to manually pull the cover back, and then feed the fuel. I didn't have to fuel often because I was putting about 500 miles/year on the car. The vapor capturing covers don't seem to be working in Cali, because most residents are still exhibiting symptoms of vapor inhalation. Get out while you can; if Trump gets re-elected in 2024 I am pushing him to build a border fence between California and the rest of the USA. :)
Yep, moving me and the fam (Challenger included) out of Cali in October/November. I've had enough.

BSG

Reaction score
set the libs and tree huggers aside.... there is a s*** ton of money to be made here in cali, i wear a golf shirt and shorts to work every single day. i don't want to be an ass and brag about paychecks but as a high school drop out even i'm amazed at how easy wealth building is in this state. i'll keep fixing prius's and civics as long as the tree huggers keep wrecking them. I'll drive a muscle car or truck WITH THE WINDOWS DOWN to work every day while doing it :cool:

Back