• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fouled plugs on the right bank

6 pac

Reaction score
I keep getting a couple of fouled plugs on start up on the right bank of a 340 six pack t/a. It happens on cold start up and if I clean them it will run fine. Everything is stock but I have the revnnator box and have the vac advance disconnected. The motor is all rebuilt and runs perfect other than that. Can anyone help?

AUSTA

Reaction score
Sounds like too much fuel on startup or idle.
I have found the new Champions RC12YC seem to foul a lot easier & wont clear unless cleaned than the old ones
The NGK plugs seem to work longer with over fueling.

Adam

Reaction score
Could the intake gasket on that side allow oil to be sucked in from the lifter valley

6 pac

Reaction score
The plugs are black fouled. And only at start up. I can clean them and they work fine. And only when the car sits and it's a cold start up. I'm wondering if that heat exchanger has something to do with it. The plugs are super clean after it warms up it's fine but only that start up

6 pac

Reaction score
Everything has been restored on this car, carbs, heat exchanger, everything and is in perfect working order but this fouling issue.

moparleo

Reaction score
If it is just one bank that does it, it has to ben carb related. Take out the metering block on the center carb and after removing the power valve and mixture screws, blow it out with an air hose and reinstall it. Readjust the idle mixture screws and see what happens.

aussiemark

Reaction score
If the heads are not a matched pair the RH one may have excessive valve guide clearance or no/worn stem seals allowing oil into the chamber when shut down and fouling those plugs on start up.

moparleo

Reaction score
He says they are "black" fouled.. More than likely excess fuel not oil, Seals normally a puff of grey/blue smoke at start up and will clear up quickly. Guides will smoke constantly.
Pull the dipstick and sniff it. Any fuel smell ?

AUSTA

Reaction score
Try removing the air cleaner slowly open the butterflies before you start it & have a look with a torch to see if there is wet fuel sitting in the bottom of the manifold
The carby may have the float level a bit to high or there is fuel leaking when the car is stationery
Do you need to pump the pedal to start or does it start instantly with black smoke could also be the choke set a bit too closed when cold.

AUSTA

Reaction score
That's the one we don't want to set the vehicle alight.

Back