• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

fuel and temp. gauge question

7Challenger3

Reaction score
What would cause these two gauges to read immediately to full on gas gauge and high temp. on temp. gauge as soon as you turn key to on position?

Xcudame

Reaction score
The gauges are 5 volts DC. To get 5 volts from 12 volts DC, Chrysler used a regulator kinda like a set up points that pulses 5 volts DC into the gauges located on the back of the gauge panel. Sounds like you regulator is stuck in the closed position allowing12 volts DC to the gauges. Do the gauges stay high the whole time when running (ignition on)? Is so, they may be fried.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Standard dash, right. No mention of the oil gauge pegging.

5volt limiters3 (2).jpg

7Challenger3

Reaction score
The gauges are 5 volts DC. To get 5 volts from 12 volts DC, Chrysler used a regulator kinda like a set up points that pulses 5 volts DC into the gauges located on the back of the gauge panel. Sounds like you regulator is stuck in the closed position allowing12 volts DC to the gauges. Do the gauges stay high the whole time when running (ignition on)? Is so, they may be fried.
Thank's for the info. I'll get me a new one and see what happens.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Get one of the solid state ones like EW1BH27 posted. I believe I got mine from RT-ENG but it was years ago. Regardless when you get a new regulator and try it out, you may be needing new dash gauges as well. That's the part that sucks.

Steve340

Reaction score
The gauges can be tested quite easily with some torch batteries. Cuda Cody did a video on You Tube.

Back