• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel blending question

Flat-Tappet

Reaction score
I drove my newly acquired '72 'Cuda today, and am getting the feel of it bit by bit. As I was getting more aggressive with the throttle openings, I believe I heard some light knock "pinking" at around 3500+ RPM.
The motor is a 440>496 stroker with CR listed at 10.4:1 with Diamond pistons, iron heads and timing supposedly at 34 all in (will confirm once I get my timing light back in my hands).

Dyno sheets show conflicting fuel information, with both BP 93 and 100 listed on the sheet. Its possible they could have been using a blend. I thought all along I might be on the ragged edge of knock, and i believe my ears just may have confirmed that. I did not hear it when the PO took me for a WOT rip, but there were many other sensory inputs going on, so I could have easily missed it.

I have access to Sunoco 110 leaded gas which I run in two other cars exclusively, so its availability is part of the answer for me. But I'd prefer not to run the 'Cuda exclusively on 110 leaded gas.

Instead, I intend to put, say, 2-3 gallons of 110 Sunoco into a tank with 8 gallons of 93 as a mix, to bump up the octane to 96-97 and see if that pinking goes away. i think its going to be a bit of trial and error at first. Then perhaps a session with a sharp chassis dyno guy may help me get a grip on all this.

Any suggestions or input on blending leaded fuel with unleaded pump gas? is it stable?

Does the lead in the 110 add some added "juice" to the unleaded pump gas beyond the pure ratio that the blended numbers alone create? In short do you get a bit of "serendipity" with the addition of lead?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Using a mix of 110 or even Av gas will help , figuring out the blend will take some time .
I had aa built up slant 6 , I shaved .100 off the head & the resulting compression needed more octane due to ping so I would fill at 1/2 tank , first reg then premium resulting in an octane slightly higher than reg & enough to kill detonation .

Flat-Tappet

Reaction score
Psycho, thanks for the input. Yep, it’s going to be a bit of trial and error. I don’t think I need a big boost in octane, but i‘d like to find a safe and reasonably economic blend.

Flat-Tappet

Reaction score
I’ve been able to drive my new-to-me ‘Cuda for several weeks now, and have been getting to know the car and it’s sounds, behaviors and build details. Turns out the motor has aluminum Edelbrock heads installed on it. I thought they were highly ported iron heads at first. But a magnet confirmed it.

The light “pinking/knocking” I described in the first post, and believed to be spark knock turned out to be a high frequency rattle in the shift linkage. That rattle is clearly not caused by low octane fuel and resultant spark knock. It just scared the crap out of me the first time I heard it.

regardless of that discovery, I still decided to blend 2.5 gallons of leaded 110 octane into a tank of 93 unleaded to provide an 18 gallon full tank of ~ 95.5 octane per the octane calculator I used.

Octane Calculator - www.bazellracefuels.com

The car runs well with this mix, and I’m now comfortable using WOT and approaching 6000 revs with it with this slight boost in octane. No spark knock heard at all.

If I’m not hammering it hard, I believe straight 93 will be just fine.

Back