• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel Filling Problem

lvd2340

Reaction score
I have a 70 Cuda and have always had a problem when i fill the tank that it burps out over the taillamp panel and bumper. The fuel has discolored the black and i'll need to get it repainted in the future. Has anyone else had issues with their cars burping fuel back out when filling it? I stopped filling it because of this problem but would like to solve it. Maybe a vent tube issue? It's a 340 hardtop.

Reaction score
My 70 440 does that as well, so I try to fill it without squeezing the nozzle to full flow and always stop when the nozzle clicks off, and never try to "top off" the tank. I've checked the vent and hoses a couple of times, it just doesn't like to be filled "fast". Maybe someone else has a solution I'm all ears!
Ken

Avalanche

Reaction score
I have the same issue 70 challenger .
I usually look at the gallons needed and when I come close to filling, I slow the pump down. seems to work fine if filling slow when your near the top

Steve340

Reaction score
Most earlier cars have the vent in the gas cap and not in the tank. So when you are trying to fill the air in the fuel tank is displacing up the filler tube you are pouring gas in to. Therefore you get the burps of air and gas you just paid for.
You won't fix it without modifying the fuel tank.
Try filling slower and stopping and withdraw the filling nozzle to let the pressure equalise.

David B

Reaction score
I have a 70 Barracuda which I use for road trips (FL to Alaska, Vermont, CA, etc) so max fuel is important to me. I found the best way to fill is to listen to the gas going into the tank. After the gas level reaches the bottom of the filler neck you will have to use short bursts and wait for it to burp into the tank.

Avalanche

Reaction score
Seems like the problem is the fill tube, it's a big hole, the new cars have a fill hole just barely larger than the gas pump nosel.
An adapter plate, making the hole smaller might work to stop the fuel.
Just a thought

Back