• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Gas Cap Gasket

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
The rubber gasket on my 72 Challenger gas cap fell apart. The cap is painted and in nice shape so I don't want to replace it. Is there such a thing as a replacement gasket for these caps?

Huskidrive

Reaction score
Be careful with a year one repop. I bought one not long ago and when I went to install it the spot weld broke and all the parts went down the filler tube. I would look for a good used one on ebay and just swap out the internals...two phillips screws and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Be careful with a year one repop. I bought one not long ago and when I went to install it the spot weld broke and all the parts went down the filler tube. I would look for a good used one on ebay and just swap out the internals...two phillips screws and you're good to go.
Yeah. The one pictured in Year One has a gasket that looks kinda cheesy. Just look at the loose gasket!

newfc774.png

Steve340

Reaction score
Yes I have made fuel cap gaskets out of it before - worked fine. Relatively cheap and easy to get.
It won't handle complete immersion in fuel but splash is OK - not many rubber type materials can handle fuel.
Make a few and when they give out just put a spare on. From what I remember it swells a small amount but it doesn't fall apart.
Thinking about it a material called BUNA-N may be better. They make o-rings out of it not sure if you can get it as a sheet.

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Yes I have made fuel cap gaskets out of it before - worked fine. Relatively cheap and easy to get.
It won't handle complete immersion in fuel but splash is OK - not many rubber type materials can handle fuel.
Make a few and when they give out just put a spare on. From what I remember it swells a small amount but it doesn't fall apart.
Thinking about it a material called BUNA-N may be better. They make o-rings out of it not sure if you can get it as a sheet.
Thanks. Looks like our US mass market store Walmart sells it in a 1/8" Thick x 4" Wide x 60" Long for a little less than $16. May be the ticket.

Katfish

Reaction score
Buy a locking gas cap and use the gasket.
It will easily stretch over what you have and work.
$15 at local auto store

Or just a standard cap, MOTORAD MGC807

Buy this and just unscrew the whole assembly and transfer to yours

Motorad MGC746​

Last edited:
Back