• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Gear set instead of dual chain Cam sprockets

DTCMMLF

Reaction score
Anyone in the crowd have experience/comments about a gear driven cam versus the usual Cloyes double chained setup? (440 engine)
Yep, it'll be noisy. Engine noise when/whirring/grumbling/screaming is a symphony to my old ears!!!
Purchased an Aluminum timing cover that has a removable front cover plate, so one can tinker with the timing. Not only is it
nice to see all that bling up front, but I can putz with the timing without the usual dis-assembly. I will keep Fel-Pro in business with gaskets
requirements!!!

Many thanks in advance

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Geared will spin the camshaft the opposite direction of a chained setup, unless you have an additional "idler" gear in the drive.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I have a Pete Jackson gear drive in my 383. Its got the duel idler gear with straight cut teeth. I love the whine. Dispite the bad rep these gear drives have (the ones with the idler) I have never had any issues, been 20years now. (The gear drive I have has been discontinued) Also I used a fluiddamper damper to help keep the crank vibs from messing up my valve train.

(One day I'll slap a roots blower on it)

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have set up a few of these , you can get straight cut [noisy] or angle cut gears which are quiet . they work well especially with high spring loads