• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Gearbox removal HELP!!

Caramon311

Reaction score
Could really use some help as I feel like I am missing something. I am trying to change out the gearbox on my '70 challenger, was originally a 318 but now has a 383 from a '68 charger.

I have disconnected the Pitman arm, and even jacked the engine up aboutan inch (maybe more). But I still cannot get the old gear box out of the car. I can find no combination of turning/twisting/tilting that will allow me to pull the gearbox out of the car.

Should I be taking it toward the front of the car? the back? through the top? the bottom?

Do I need to remove the engine mount from the passenger side and hoist the entire engine up????

Really lost at this point and could use some help, everyone I talked to before I started made the whole process sound pretty straight forward. . .

moparleo

Reaction score
I am assuming that you have removed the 3 bolts holding the box in and have disconnected the steering shaft/coupler. It is tight and you may need to lift the engine slightly more. Not easy with the engine installed.

Caramon311

Reaction score
Yes, bolts removed and shaft disconnected. I'll see if I can raise the engine a little more but I think it was starting to lift the restof the car :BangHead:

Back