• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

HEI ignition for Mopar

Adam

Reaction score

I just completed this upgrade on my 89 Ramcharger. This was necessary because I swapped out the tired 318 (original factory rated hp was only 150, pathetic) with a rebuilt 95 Magnum 360 with EQ heads and Fitech EFI. In that era of Dodge trucks the rudimentary engine computer controlled timing (dist. has no mechanical advance), voltage regulator, and the factory fuel injection. This computer does not work well with performance upgrades and needed to be bypassed.

Anyway, this HEI system is pretty slick and can easily be used on our E-body cars with a minimum of work. It is not easy to see once installed, gets rid of the ballast resistor, and puts out a better spark, especially with a coil upgrade, because the coil gets a full 12 volts all the time, not just at start up. Also, your tach will still work with just running the tach wire to the negative side of the coil. If you don’t like the ballast system, or have a weak spark, this is worth consideration.

I am not affiliated with this company or product, I’m just a satisfied customer.

heminut

Reaction score
[/URL]

I just completed this upgrade on my 89 Ramcharger. This was necessary because I swapped out the tired 318 (original factory rated hp was only 150, pathetic) with a rebuilt 95 Magnum 360 with EQ heads and Fitech EFI. In that era of Dodge trucks the rudimentary engine computer controlled timing (dist. has no mechanical advance), voltage regulator, and the factory fuel injection. This computer does not work well with performance upgrades and needed to be bypassed.

Anyway, this HEI system is pretty slick and can easily be used on our E-body cars with a minimum of work. It is not easy to see once installed, gets rid of the ballast resistor, and puts out a better spark, especially with a coil upgrade, because the coil gets a full 12 volts all the time, not just at start up. Also, your tach will still work with just running the tach wire to the negative side of the coil. If you don’t like the ballast system, or have a weak spark, this is worth consideration.

I am not affiliated with this company or product, I’m just a satisfied customer.
That's a slick setup! Be advised, the GM HEI modules tend to quit on you with no warning. The good thing is it's easy to carry a spare in the car. I don't know about now, but back in the day there were a lot of problems with aftermarket modules going out frequently. I haven't messed with them for about 20 years now, but I would hope that the lesser quality aftermarket stuff is no longer out there.

I'm running a Gen.III Hemi, but if I had a Mopar engine with a distributor I would definitely consider this swap!

ZippyZoo

Reaction score
I agree. It's an easy upgrade on the 440 MP electronic distributor, too. I bought some vintage Delco HEI modules from member Halifaxhop, gapped plugs to .040 (for now) - it runs great. Starts right up. I still have a lot to do on the car before it's "street ready", but feel the HEI conversion was a good move.

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

halifaxhop

Reaction score
They work great. Have some mounting pk\lates now. Biggest thing with them use a HEI designed coil, going for the original look use a petronixs III blaster coil. Wow it is a hot setup.

Back