• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello fellow E-Body Enthusiasts! I'm new to the Forum, and would like to introduce myself/seek some initial guidance...

PDMopars

Reaction score
Also, there is a great little book that Galen made.
Chrysler corporation production option code book
little white books. 69-71 and 72-74
I don't seem to be able to find any for sale to link to you here.
Cuda Hunter, thanks again for the various references as all will serve to be beneficial. In regards to the #15 "Inspector Code" you indicated, I don't see any other tags, etc. that might resemble an "assembly tag" attached to the fender tag. Might you be able to articulate a bit further what that might be/look like, and purpose thereof? Thanks again in advance...

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
The inspection tag would be long and thin. With different denotations on it. The inspectors would clip off the tag in their section as the car rolled down the assembly line. When the line was complete the tag was supposed to be completely clipped away. Lots were left on the cars. Some were clipped half way down. Just another piece of a cars history.

I'll try to find a picture and post it up after work.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
There can also be special inspection tags that were 1 1 /4x 1 1/4 that would have stamps in it, similar to the 15 that is on your fender tag. NOt all cars got this tag.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thank you very much DetMatt1! Through some additional searches, I was able to fill in most of the other codes/details. One inconsistency I saw between a few sites was for the GY4 color code. Some would indicate "Honeydew" and others would indicate "Light Gold". Might you/anyone know which one is the "official" one as I saw meaningful documentation referencing each?

For J54 I also saw some differences between "Sport Hood" and "Hood Insulation Pad"? Are they virtually one in the same and just different terms? Is one more "official" than the other?

Thanks again!
Paul
Honeydew and light gold were the same color, Dodge called it light gold while Chrysler, Plymouth & Imperial called it Honeydew.
J54 is the sport or Rallye hood, J55 would’ve been undercoating which included the insulation pad.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
DetMatt1,

Thanks again for your perspective on build date. Might you be aware of an approximate (or exact) date range for production #1 through the total number built, and does that have an impact on any facets of the vehicle (benefits of integrating "fixed problems" encountered earlier on in production, value, etc.)?

Thanks,
Paul
Model year production started around August 1st & ended around the second week of July. Throughout the year there were service bulletins issued to fix bugs so I guess there is some benefit to having a later built car.

PDMopars

Reaction score
Honeydew and light gold were the same color, Dodge called it light gold while Chrysler, Plymouth & Imperial called it Honeydew.
J54 is the sport or Rallye hood, J55 would’ve been undercoating which included the insulation pad.
DetMatt1,

Thanks for the additional clarification. Interesting, I found these documents out on the web but couldn't find one for 1972. Might anyone out there be lucky enough to have found something similar? Curious how many of my Honeydew/Light Gold Challenger Rallyes may have been proportionately been made, as it appears there were about 3,769 of the automatics made...

Thanks!
71_Dodge_Mini_Book0002.jpg
437_0_production numbers2.jpg

PDMopars

Reaction score
There can also be special inspection tags that were 1 1 /4x 1 1/4 that would have stamps in it, similar to the 15 that is on your fender tag. NOt all cars got this tag.
Cuda Hunter,

Interesting additional information I never knew. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a special inspection tag/or remnant thereof...

Thanks!
Paul

PDMopars

Reaction score
Had another question, and wasn't sure of which topic area to place it under, so thought I'd list it here since there's been great guidance through this thread. Is there a way to "find" the build sheet for my specific vehicle? I've seen through some searches where people have indicated they are in possession of an original build sheet for a 72 Challenger with X VIN, and would be able to provide based upon proof of current ownership. Barring what might be considered a miracle find, was curious if there may be an overall registry of build sheets through which providing a VIN/proof of ownership one could get a copy (or original if it happened to still exist through someone/if there's a record registry somewhere)?

Thanks in advance... 👍

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
First, search google for your vin. Then search other platforms as well. duckduckgo comes to mind. Research any lead that comes up.
If nothing comes up you can post wanted ads with your vin number on it.
That will get a lead to you when someone else types in your vin number.

There is of course Barry Washington. He's probably a member on here.
He owns the Hamtramck Registry The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - Challenger T/A Registry Home Page
He does not share information. As I have asked numerous times for info on M46 cars. No luck, even though he's said he has info on build sheets but will not share the info. So, all you can do is send an email or call and ask if your build sheet happens to be in his registry. If he has it he will gladly give it to you with proof of ownership (as I am told).

Delve into his website and you will find where he has listed many bits of information that are "found". You might get lucky.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Galen Govier had also accumulated a bunch which were actually published in The Mopar Collector’s Guide over several issues but that was probably 12 to 15 years ago.

PDMopars

Reaction score
You didn’t get the collectors guide back then?
Cuda Hunter and MatDett1, you guys are a wealth of information, always willing to help, do so in a constructive/interested/sometimes jocular manner... and I thoroughly enjoy the close-knit group of individuals within this Forum. Just wanted to openly express my Great thanks/appreciation for your guidance/assistance, and open willingness (on your own personal time, I might add) to spread the knowledge on the E-Bodies we've all come to love! Many Kudos... 👍

Thanks!
Paul

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
You didn’t get the collectors guide back then?
Actually no. I didn't even own a mopar until 2000ish. Couldn't afford it, too young. So I really got into mopars around 2010 when I had worked my ass off enough to afford more than one mopar. I'm hooked though. Wonder where one would find the old magazines for sale with the lists.
I'm totally unaware.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Actually no. I didn't even own a mopar until 2000ish. Couldn't afford it, too young. So I really got into mopars around 2010 when I had worked my ass off enough to afford more than one mopar. I'm hooked though. Wonder where one would find the old magazines for sale with the lists.
I'm totally unaware.
I still have them but it would take time that I really don’t currently have for such an endeavor.

Back