• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello fellow E-Body Enthusiasts! I'm new to the Forum, and would like to introduce myself/seek some initial guidance...

PDMopars

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Where does one even start here... From childhood and my assortment of Matchbox or Hot Wheels cars (if any indication of age/dating myself LOL), I've always had a love for Fast Attractive Muscle Cars. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon how you look at it), my relatively conservative parents precluded me from acquiring my first "fast" car until I was on my own. You can imagine that upon graduating from college... and in the many years since, it was then ON! Started off Chevy with an 1986 Black IROC-Z and immediately dove into the area of performance improvements such as typical bolt-ons like air intakes, exhaust, ECM (or Hypertech at the time for those of that era, LOL), NOS, etc. I suspect many on this board agree it's quite addicting, and there's always a project going on to make it faster, look better, etc. Question was always how fast does one want to go, how much $$ do you have. :) Enjoyed/kept that car for some time, but it was time for something else and the '94 Camaro w/LT1 came out so acquired one new and immediately "went to work". Enhanced numerous aspects of it except the bottom end of the engine (bolt-ons, ported/polished/flow matched heads with intake, cam, headers, exhaust, originally Powerdyne but subsequently switched to ProCharger D1SC for more boost, small NOS shot for cooling effect, etc.) and had my street/strip Camaro with about ~650hp. Then in 1998 my world started to change when I happened to find/purchase what's now evolved into my precious 1972 Dodge Challenger (picture attached). Always loved the E-Body style and was definitely meant to happen as coincidentally found it locally... At the time, it was a street/strip 440ci with a cross-ram dual-carb setup (pretty unique) and remained so for several years until after moving to FL I began to work on various enhancements through the years to bring it to the level it is today. Currently has a Balanced/Blueprinted 540ci INDY RB Street Master Engine (Carb to Oil Pan), and so many other items… too many to list. Incredibly fun high-horsepower, real head-turner, that I take out for occasional rides/cruise ins/shows, or from years ago an occasional run at the track.

Through the years, I’ve kept my balance of Chevy/Mopars… On the Chevy side, acquired another ’94 Camaro that runs 9’s and is completely streetable, had an ’06 Z06 Vette onto which I put a ProCharger Superharger, etc. as enough is never enough (LOL), and subsequently traded “up” once the 2015 C7 Z06 came out. On the Mopar side, first added a 2000 Durango SRT, have loved the ’06 Chrysler 300 SRT (balance of power/luxury), had a 2006 SRT-10 Viper Truck Quad-Cab, and 2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat. Each has its own appeal, but Far more variety in the Mopar line, vs. what one might consider the Chevy “Flagship” piece being the Z06/ZR1 alone… Hope the horsepower ratings keep going up and up… :thumbsup:

Quick question for the group… If I'm looking to further decode the fender tag on my 72 Dodge Challenger, is there an optimal resource/reference out there to do so... or if photograph provided someone with expertise that might be able to help break the components down for me? I believe I saw a thread through which a Forum member (obviously well-versed) assisted in providing results. Is there also an optimal resource for effectively decoding the VIN as for one of the corresponding codes I've sometimes seen different "results" between websites?

Anyways... It's a pleasure to be part of this Forum, and I look forward to seeing/learning even more about the wide variety of topics, history, and experiences all have had and/or planning (and myself contributing, of course in any way I can/have experience)!

Thanks in advance!
Paul

IMG_4340.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Post a pic and we can decode it for you.

PDMopars

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Post a pic and we can decode it for you.
DetMatt1,

Thank you for the offer of assistance! Pic attached, and looking forward to filling in any gaps on specs/original options...

Thanks!
Fender Codes.jpg

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Let's not forget this site. There is a ton of info and resources here.

And a Decoder

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Looks like you also have a #15 or #45 inspector stamp on the fender tag.
Is there an assembly line tag still attached to the fender tag?

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Also, there is a great little book that Galen made.
Chrysler corporation production option code book
little white books. 69-71 and 72-74
I don't seem to be able to find any for sale to link to you here.

PDMopars

Reaction score
Here you go, nice car btw!
View attachment 92625
Thank you very much DetMatt1! Through some additional searches, I was able to fill in most of the other codes/details. One inconsistency I saw between a few sites was for the GY4 color code. Some would indicate "Honeydew" and others would indicate "Light Gold". Might you/anyone know which one is the "official" one as I saw meaningful documentation referencing each?

For J54 I also saw some differences between "Sport Hood" and "Hood Insulation Pad"? Are they virtually one in the same and just different terms? Is one more "official" than the other?

Thanks again!
Paul

PDMopars

Reaction score
Btw that’s a very late build date.
DetMatt1,

Thanks again for your perspective on build date. Might you be aware of an approximate (or exact) date range for production #1 through the total number built, and does that have an impact on any facets of the vehicle (benefits of integrating "fixed problems" encountered earlier on in production, value, etc.)?

Thanks,
Paul

Back