• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello, From Woodruff Carburetor Specialties

Woodruff Carbs

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
We are a full service carb shop in Youngstown Ohio. Owned and operated by a lifelong Mopar enthusiast and longtime drag racer, we are proud to offer services of Performance, Restoration, and Rebuild in Auto, Marine, and Industrial. We are also having great success with E85 conversions. We are working hard and will continue to work hard to be your one stop shop for all your carburetor needs. Customer satisfaction is OUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY. Thank you.

FEBO members will receive 10% off all orders.

fasjac

Reaction score
Hi there! Quick question? How bad is the fuel with ethanol on the carbs?
I built a 500 stroker six pack several years ago. 10.5 CR and used 93 octane with ethanol for a year or so. Have since changed to ethanol free and AV 100 octane 50/50 mix. The motor loves this combo but, was wondering if that ethanol has hurt anything. I did have the replace the auxiliary fuel pump diaphragm due to leaking. That was a few months ago. All good now.
Thank you for your time.
fasjac

Woodruff Carbs

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
I will say it is not bad fuel, more misunderstood than any thing. And with the right tune should run fine with your combo. However, I will say, it does not store well. Do you live where your car is in storage for long periods?

fasjac

Reaction score
Ok, I wouldn’t say stored for long periods of time. I drive/run the car at least once a month. I’ve been keeping about one half of a tank of fuel at all times. So, some of the run time may only be 25 miles at a time.

Woodruff Carbs

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
That is the same situation as my Imperial, and I run a 50/50 pump/ Avgas blend. The FAA mandates an 18 month shelf life on the avgas. I’m not a chemist, so I don’t have any physical proof, but I believe that a month is plenty long enough for you to notice a chemical/physical change in pump gas and atmospheric conditions such as altitude and temperatures play a major role. I’m not 100% sure it is the ethanol that is the first thing to go wrong with pump gas in storage. Ethanol has a heavier viscosity than gasoline? (That is one of the obstacles in setting up an E85 carb) But if you take, say a pint of pump gas and set out side in an open container for 2 days, it will be yellow and more viscous than 2 days ago. So my theory is other unknown chemicals evaporate first leaving behind an unknown syrup, and this is what eventually turns into jelly and clogs internal passages.
I have heard the argument that Ethanol does not absorb water from the air like methanol. But I can tell you first hand that the syrup to jelly to white flaky mess process happens tremendously quicker in a boat carb that sees more storage than driving.

fasjac

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I’ll stick to my mixture for now.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I recently had one done by Woodruff and although I haven’t had the chance to fire it up yet I know I will not be disappointed, his reputation precedes him.:thumbsup:
I asked him to not over restore the cosmetics as I wanted it to go with the survivor engine room and he nailed it.
ED5F918F-E78D-4064-879E-17BF40324032.jpeg

fasjac

Reaction score
Yea, seems like a great place to do biz. The carb looks good to match survivor type. Like it!

Back