• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hemi swap questions

Sublimeone

Reaction score
Here is how I did mine, apologize it is on my Demon not my cuda. But same set of problems. And I went Dakota dash and never looked back.

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

IMG_1778.JPG

IMG_1779.JPG

MoparMatej71

Reaction score
I put mine together on a very low budget. Purchased what I could not build myself. I may be able to give some advice .

View attachment 56389
I would be very interested and grateful for some of that advice. Currently rebuilding a 71 Challenger. Just got a 5.7 out of a 2013 Charger (with a 5 speed transmission). Car will not be ready for the motor until this summer so I am trying to get all ducks in a row before then. I grew up in a body shop, so under the hood is certainly not my specialty (although I am sure I know more than the average person on the street). Trying to do all that I can myself. Appreciate it.

IMG_1331.JPG

Hubes71

Reaction score
I started with a different beast. Mine was a 5.7 out of a 05 Magnum. I used Cherokee manifolds and built my own exhaust system. The Magnum manifolds hit the frame on the passenger side. This also allowed me to keep my factory power steering box. I built my own motor mounts because I moved the passenger side k member mount back so I didn't have to use an angled oil filter mount or any filter relocation kit. I used my original 833 4 speed , this allowed for simple transmission installation (everything factory behind flywheel ). Also built my own in-tank fuel pump unit. I'm a tool maker by trade and have my own basement machine shop, so I am able to build a lot myself. I will admit that I my not have a lot of money in my build but I have an insane amount of time in it. If you have specific questions, I will try to help. Pictures ,sketches, measurements.

Hubes71

Reaction score
Also, I used a hydroboost system from a GM truck. Braking performance and feel is awesome . Highly recommend if you don't already have the factory set up.

jjklongisland

Reaction score
Also, I used a hydroboost system from a GM truck. Braking performance and feel is awesome . Highly recommend if you don't already have the factory set up.
Not to hijack the thread but I have been going nuts researching hydroboost manufacturers and there is an insane lead time on them. I was thinking of just getting a reman Gm hydroboost and retrofitting it myself... Is that what you did? Any pointers?

Hubes71

Reaction score
I found the whole set up fairly painless. Built an aluminum adapter plate for the firewall and pretty much bolted it right in. I used the Challenger proportioning valve and most of the pedal linkage. The hydraulic plumbing is a snap as well. I used actual hydraulic hoses mostly because I have a shop nearby with all the fittings (made it easy, but is way overkill and not as pretty as stainless braided hose). I will need to check out the linkage to refresh my memory as to what I did as it was done about 6 years ago. Again, you will not regret going this way. I'll post some pics and see if that helps with more specific details.

AZkcar135

Reaction score
Been awhile since I've been on, but the Challenger paint and body is done! I picked up a 5.7 hemi from a 2006 Ram 1500 2wd. I've hear hotwire auto is the place to go for the harness and all, but what about accessories? Motor mounts? Thanks in advance!!
FB_IMG_1565196884523.jpg
IMG_20191101_180205.jpg
FB_IMG_1565196884523.jpg
IMG_20191101_180205.jpg
FB_IMG_1565196662143.jpg
FB_IMG_1565196901278.jpg

Hubes71

Reaction score
Humm, where to start?
Hotwire will definitely supply you with a quality wiring harness and a straightforward and simple install to get your engine running quickly. This is how I started. Long term though it may not be answer if you plan on upgrading your engine to include headers, new cam, etc.
You will have no problem finding a lot of the other parts required just need to do a search and look for the best price. You will need a Milodon oil pan, engine mounts (TTI sells), Grand Cherokee manifolds or TTI headers ($$$$), some sort of electric fuel pump (I went with intank), drive by wire gas peddle, and I also recommend a Borgeson steering box for extra room and steering performance. I assume that you are going with an automatic transmission , as I went A833 , I am of no help. If you have any specific questions , I can offer up my two cents as you progress on your project.
By the way, love the white with green stripe, awesome .

1632Hemi

Reaction score
Here is my set up, I didn’t think it was necessary for me to build an air box. I wasn’t looking for a few extra HP, I just wanted it to look clean.

DAB7EC47-7970-44DB-B4DF-6748F4DBA020.jpeg

C2799921-C64A-4D95-AB3A-236D864D39CD.jpeg

Last edited:

1632Hemi

Reaction score
Been awhile since I've been on, but the Challenger paint and body is done! I picked up a 5.7 hemi from a 2006 Ram 1500 2wd. I've hear hotwire auto is the place to go for the harness and all, but what about accessories? Motor mounts? Thanks in advance!!View attachment 64830 View attachment 64831 View attachment 64830 View attachment 64831 View attachment 64832 View attachment 64833
I went with hotwire also, tti for both the motor mounts and the headers, autometer MOPAR gauges. I built my in tank fuel pump gas tank but tanks inc makes a nice one.... If you have questions this forum is a good place to ask. The big question is what transmission are you going to go with? I tried both the 545 and the nag1 but you will have to cut and weld a new floor in, you can’t use either. Plus you are going to have to build some kind of shift linkage, but if you go with silver sport transmission everything bolts in. It only a 4 speed but it is a .70:1 OD where the nag1 is a .83:1 and the 545 is a .67:1. You even use the stock linkage with the SST. Also they make a plate for the slapstick that says 1 2 3 D instead of 1 2 D.
Here is the link: www.shiftsst.com
C2AEDB19-4928-4C30-8C0C-C82300278899.jpeg

JpRngr

Reaction score
I tried both the 545 and the nag1 but you will have to cut and weld a new floor in, you can’t use either. Plus you are going to have to build some kind of shift linkage,
View attachment 65040

I'm running the NAG1 behind my 6.1L in my '74 Challenger, and didn't have to do a new floor. I cut down the dipstick tube and installed an access plate for checking fluid. Other than that, it fit fine. Although there also was a couple unnecessary pieces of aluminum I shaved off the case, too.

Back