• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hood Hinge bolt hole problems-Need Advise!

John Be

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Barracuda and the Hood Hinge front bolt hole on both sides is swelled up from rust. Besides that the entire fender aprons are in good shape, I'd hate to bare the expense and labor to replace them both just for the bolt holes. I've seen advertised a patch kit but it looks like it does not include the adjustable front nut.

Does someone sell the patch with that adj nut?????

Has anyone just cut out that bolt hole and fabricated another and butt welded it in.

Looking for pictures of that work if someone has does it.
Need your advise!!!!

John Be

Reaction score
Here's what the inner fender patch panel looks like from Year One.

js6022lhrh_thumb.png

rklein71

Reaction score
You mean like this.....had to do this on both sides behind the hood hinge. The nut behind was not rusted, all it was is a square piece of 1/4 inch plate or so that rattles around in a loose holder. Rod

IMG_2750.JPG

John Be

Reaction score
Yes that is exactly what I', talking about. Can you give me more detail on how you did it.
Do you have any pics showing the steps.

rklein71

Reaction score
Gdrill has better pictures than mine, but I attached another one. Basically, I drew a box over the area that was rusted out and carefully cut out the first layer from the engine compartment. Most of the second layer was still good, but had to recreate the rest. I think it was thicker than the inner fender, I think a bought a small piece of 16 gauge from Home Depot, but don't remember exactly. I fixed the backing piece first, welding from the outer side. Once that was cleaned up, I made a patch for the inner piece, drilling holes first so I could plug weld the inner piece to the outer piece, then but welded the inner patch.

Oh yeah, I took measurements of where the hole was and wrote them down so I could get the hole in the right location.
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_3720.JPG

Just for info, the inner fender structure for an E-body is the same as the inner structure for a 71-73 B-body, so you could go to a yard and cut out a section. However, these pieces are flat, so making a patch is not hard.

I also included a picture of my in-progress 71 Barracuda.

Rod

John Be

Reaction score
Thanks so much for taking the time to forward the above info!
Nice job Guys!!! That's exactly what I'd like to do.
What gauge metal are you using on the Apron?
What gauge metal are you using on the adjustable nut slide?

gdrill- Do you have any drawing/measurements that you kept.
Do you think the same measurements apply to a 1970 Barracuda?
I see that you welded both side, is it necessary?

Any of you guys near NW Arkansas?????????

rklein71

Reaction score
What gauge metal are you using on the Apron? - Pretty sure I used 20 gauge.
What gauge metal are you using on the adjustable nut slide? It is heavier, 16 gauge maybe.

Hopefully gdrill can help you on this.

PS - my measurements are written upside down below the repair, but I can't read them. Measurements should be the same for all five years of E-body Barracudas.

I am in Amarillo TX.

Back