• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How common was the factory undercoat?

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
I was very happy to see the buyer of mine bought the option of undercoat. It helped keep the floors and rest solid.

burdar

Reaction score
I'm not sure how popular it was. Most people see undercoating on a restored car as being there to cover up rust...not because it originally came with it. As rusty as my car was, the floor pans were in really good shape. I'm sure the undercoating is what saved it.

When you ordered the undercoating, you also got underhood insulation. The undercoating package was designed as a sound deadening option more than anything else.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
Mine hasn't been restored, and the undercoat is almost worn off, but it's a good and strong driver.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
Got new dual glass packs put on it the other day, and one guy said did you know this car had a factory undercoat? I said no, but glad to hear it.

moparlee

Reaction score
It is a very rough and hard textured sparyed on black material. You will see it on the inside fender areas, rear wheel wells, frame rails, floor pan underside, and inside the trunk areas on the quarter panels. Depending on the location like inside the trunk areas it could be painted body color.

ronscuda

Reaction score
Ok, so mine has all of that it is even painted the body color in the trunk, car is not original color but I can see if original color is under the last paint job??? I am currently getting ready to have my car painted ( I would love to do it myself but i have never painted before and I don't think I could be 100% happy with a paint job I did since I would know EVERY imperfection). Is this something I should leave on? I can take pics and post if anyone can confirm its from the factory???

Back