• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How much was your bodywork & paint job?

troyintahoe

Reaction score
For those of us doing restorations, that dont do bodywork.

How much was you bodywork & paint.

I'll start, moderate bodywork and Fe5 Red Paint, Rally challenger. Initial quote

$9,000:icon_silent:

C O D Y

Reaction score
Did all mine myself and spent more than that.

S-S-P

Reaction score
^What CODY said ^

But I have a buddy with a paint booth who I have shoot. He gets 6k MINIMUM for a job on a car that is in good shape and needs just minor scratch repair and paint.

With any welding, patching, replacing or rust, the sky is pretty much the limit.

A local guy I know of paid almost 30k to a resto-shop on a rusty Superbee just for bodywork. Let me be clear, that is just replacing bodypanels/skins/frame sealing and paint. Not a single dollar yet spent on suspension, motor, interior, trim, etc.

C O D Y

Reaction score
SSP is right.... And one more thing to add, comparing price is not a good thing when looking at paint / bodywork. Most of the time EVERY paint guy thinks they do good work. Your expectations might be different than your body / paint guys expectations. GO LOOK AT SOME OF THEIR WORK IN PERSON. Good painters / body guys will not have a problem finding happy customers wanting to show off the great work the painter did.

^What CODY said ^

But I have a buddy with a paint booth who I have shoot. He gets 6k MINIMUM for a job on a car that is in good shape and needs just minor scratch repair and paint.

With any welding, patching, replacing or rust, the sky is pretty much the limit.

A local guy I know of paid almost 30k to a resto-shop on a rusty Superbee just for bodywork. Let me be clear, that is just replacing bodypanels/skins/frame sealing and paint. Not a single dollar yet spent on suspension, motor, interior, trim, etc.

DSC00840a.jpg

Reaction score
my cuda will be goin into the body shop Monday ..needs a little body work no welding minor fill and body lines need lining up ..Goin with v2 orange and they quoted me 7500 ..I allready had jams and under hood done ..This quote is from the best shop we have in town !..Paying with cash helps ! Lol

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
To redo my Chall , stripping it completely replacing minimum metal around the hood hinges & full trunk floor coating the entire body with epoxy primer & using PPG Base clear with 4+ coats of clear all over cost me 25k , the materials alone were over 6k
Of course where I lived the labor is very expensive at around $100 / hr , I got a deal paying cash too but still ouch !!
I know a lot of body shops will do awesome work on cars or customers they like but will do crap work on ones they don't like too

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
I know a lot of body shops will do awesome work on cars or customers they like but will do crap work on ones they don't like too

Those guys are idiots. Rather you like the customer or not, that's still "your" work headed out the door, still "your" reputation on the line. Trying to get even with someone and doing low quality work is cutting your nose off to spite your face. Bad word spreads like wildfire. It can take years to build a good reputation by word of mouth and just a few days to lose it.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Those guys are idiots. Rather you like the customer or not, that's still "your" work headed out the door, still "your" reputation on the line. Trying to get even with someone and doing low quality work is cutting your nose off to spite your face. Bad word spreads like wildfire. It can take years to build a good reputation by word of mouth and just a few days to lose it.

I do this kind of work and I totally agree with you. A shop like that is one to not be around.

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
My starting price on a car is $4500.00. That means only the outside of the car gets painted, no jambs, and only minor body work, such as door dings, etc. And then any additional work the price only goes up from there.

A nice "driver quality" restoration I can ballpark between $10k-$15k.

A full blown rotisserie restoration starts at $20k

These are just my prices, just putting it out there.

Back