• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How to swap/mod 1970 Manual Steering column to power-steering column (later year)

moparlifer

Reaction score
Greetings,
I'm chipping away at my 1970 restomod 'Cuda and am ready to go through my steering column in a month or so. The original Car was a 383 3-speed on the floor. with manual steering. I understand the 1970 manual steering columns have a longer shaft and maybe outer tube and a reverse lockout lever at the bottom. I picked-up a later year Power steering column at a swap meet years ago and was wondering which is the best approach to the rebuild. I'm going with the Borgeson steering box which I understand is a bolt-in with a existing Power-steering.
1.) Should (and can I?) just swap-out the shorter late model PS shaft into my existing MS tube and housing(s) during rebuild? or
2.) Should i just cut off the longer manual shaft from the stock 1970 column and shaft and use it? or
3.) Just swap out the lower section of the shaft from the late PS shaft into the existing manual steering shaft, and put some new hot glue or styrene pins to retain collapsing-shaft?
I watched Cuda Cody's U-tube vids so it seems like any or these scenarios may work.
I'm leaning toward just swapping the shorted late model PS shaft into my existing manual steering tube / Column.
Best course of action in your opinions?

Thanks for any insights!
Craig

BillJ

Reaction score
Moparlifer..... what did you do? I bought that adapter from Borgeson and it doesn't work. I called him and he said to hammer in the column... Doesn't sound good to me. How about one of those universals???
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bill

SteeringCoupler.jpg

moparlifer

Reaction score
Moparlifer..... what did you do? I bought that adapter from Borgeson and it doesn't work. I called him and he said to hammer in the column... Doesn't sound good to me. How about one of those universals???
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bill

View attachment 112066
I have not hooked it up yet. working on metal work lately. I did notice another thread today from Lee. W posted around 2:30 yesterday that a few guys have had to cut 1/2" off the shaft to get it to work.

Back