• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hurst Quarter stick shifter question

BH23L4B

Reaction score
I'm about to ask a question that is going to show my "noobness". But that's ok. I very recently bought a 73 H code 4 speed Cuda with a transplanted 1970 +.030 440 and 727 with a manual valve body and 3800 converter. It also has a Hurst Pistol Grip Quarter Stick shifter. My question is, if these shifters are as common in race cars as they seem to be, how do the drivers avoid throwing it directly into N from 2 without a mechanical stop? I know there is a stop from 1-2 but not from 2-3. Why are they so popular with that risk of over revving the engine and how do you avoid disaster?
thanks in advance!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would use the Cheetah shifter , it really is the only one properly designed for use with the 727 ,not that I am a fan of aftermarket shifters for the 727 at all, the cables are cheap & always melt , the factory slap stick works very well unless you go to a reverse valve body

BH23L4B

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I found out that there is actually a detent for the 2-3 shift. I actually just need to have the lever depressed and then it is all good. Hurst just came out with this shifter designed for the forward pattern. I guess I will see how it works. Not sure about the cable tho. I guess I will see.

kestes

Reaction score
I agree. After market shifters really aren't precise. I have Hurst Pro-matic and, using the included shift lever, the amount of "throw" while shifting through the gears does not line up. This is a good way to burn up your trans. I am leaning towards the Turbo Action shifter myself. ...how's it been for you? The directions on line have the cable making a full 360 from shifter to the shift lever.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The cables could / should be made far better but why bother when you can sell dozens of cables each year

Back