• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hurst Round Handle Confusion

Weldguy

Reaction score
Sorry my first post after joining the forum.
Years ago I purchased a "factory" Hurst shifter with a round handle. The guy thought it was for an E-Body, but couldn't remember for sure. The price was right so I bought it. The problem is, I can't verify what I have using part number stamps.
The body of the shifter is stamped: 0530232N along with Hurst Patent Numbers
The shifter arms are stamped: 368 and 967 with an L on the third.
From what I can find, those numbers don't match up with an E-Body unit. Hurst was not able to help because it's too old.
Any ideas what it may be for or should I just let it go for parts???

Xcudame

Reaction score
Some pictures would definitely help. Attached is a few pages from the Master Restoration and Judging Guidelines 70-74 E-Body.

IMG_20240126_185903826.jpg

IMG_20240126_185919328.jpg

IMG_20240126_185855695.jpg

Arlo Price

Reaction score
Top pic:
far right is reverse rod & lever
middle 'candy cane' is 3-4
longest is 1-2
Mopar went to the fatter rod sometime early to mid70's
I'm out'a-shape on this stuff but try that.....they look right for mopar

In the 3rd pic, that number is an individual unit warranty number. That is to say that NO 2 HURST shifter boxes had the same number.

There is 1 more number on the box and it is down low on the front panel and will consist of 4 digits/numbers

Along the bottom edge of the side panels is a raised portion with a notch in it; that is your neutral adjustment. The 'fingers' that protrude from the bottom of the box that the rods attach to have an alignment hole in them that a certain size drill bit or small screwdriver will pass all the way through. At that point you trans should be in neutral

Weldguy

Reaction score
I'll check for the four digit number tomorrow. I have it soaking in Evaporust for a couple days to clean up the surface rust.
Thanks for the info.

Weldguy

Reaction score
I'm going to guess it's from a mid-to- late 60s A-body. I may move my mystery to an A-body Forum somewhere. Thanks for the help.

Steve340

Reaction score
I am no expert but here is my opinion. I went on the Hurst website a few years ago and all the "factory" reproduced Hurst shifters all had the pistol grip handle style lever. Not a round one.
That makes me suspect your shifter is not made by Hurst for an E body.

The Hurst lever housing always appears to be the same/similar. To change them for each car they have different levers and adapter plates to mount the shifter housing to the gearbox. The shift fork levers and the shift rods are designed to fit each gearbox as well and are different for each application.

E Body Shifter housing. I recorded these numbers when I stripped down my 1970 Hurst shifter.
Number stamped into levers 7178, 7179, 7180.

Fork levers.
057 3/4 lever
058 1/2 lever
368 reverse lever

Arlo Price

Reaction score
6356 signifies that it was originally in a MOPAR.....3138 IIRC is ferd......haven't messed with all my shifters in 20 years so am a l'il bit fuzzy on them. Interested to see what type of handle mount that your box has, bayonet or bolt on. There were 2 different styles of 2-bolt handle mounts, early & late. I believe that some 68's had a 2 bolt mount......oh the brain fog.....

Last edited:

Arlo Price

Reaction score
6356 signifies that it was originally in a MOPAR.....3138 IIRC is ferd......haven't messed with all my shifters in 20 years so am a l'il bit fuzzy on them. Interested to see what type of handle mount that your box has, bayonet or bolt on. There were 2 different styles of 2-bolt handle mounts, early & late. I believe that some 68's had a 2 bolt mount......oh the brain fog.....
OK.....I looked it up:
"Beginning in early 1965, 3138 was stamped into all the OEM Hurst shifters for GTOs. Beginning in 1966, this same number was also used for Oldsmobile shifters. 3138 was also used on all of the American Motors, Ford and later on all of the late 1960s - 1970s Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am factory Hurst shifter housings. 3138 does not reference a specific year, make or model, because this number was used to assemble so many different OEM shifters."

the above info was taken from "VINTAGE HURST SHIFTERS" vol 1 by Pete Serio

Weldguy

Reaction score
OK.....I looked it up:
"Beginning in early 1965, 3138 was stamped into all the OEM Hurst shifters for GTOs. Beginning in 1966, this same number was also used for Oldsmobile shifters. 3138 was also used on all of the American Motors, Ford and later on all of the late 1960s - 1970s Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am factory Hurst shifter housings. 3138 does not reference a specific year, make or model, because this number was used to assemble so many different OEM shifters."

the above info was taken from "VINTAGE HURST SHIFTERS" vol 1 by Pete Serio
WOW! I emailed Hurst (Holley) and they were unable to ID it. Well done.

Arlo Price

Reaction score
As for round mopar shifter handles, B bodies are what I'm most familiar with; B's had round handle's through the 69 model Year. 70 started the Pistol Grip and who'd wan'na back up from there? I'm thinkin' that A bodies always had round.

Arlo Price

Reaction score
I was going to mention that we had a Challenger Deputy rust bucket that we flipped and it had IIRC a straight Round Chrome Stick about 12" tall sticking straight up, looked strange.

Back