• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hydraulic Roller Lifters in 440

Hellcat

Reaction score
Does anyone have any brand recommendations/favorites for a set of hydraulic roller lifters for use in a 440? I have a Comp Cams XR274HR-10 (P/N 23-710-9) hydraulic roller camshaft. I followed all the recommendations of parts to be used with the camshaft (rocker arms, springs, lifters, etc....). Unfortunately the Comp Cams lifters (P/N 8921-16) are garbage....I found this out the hard way and if I would have done a simple Google search in the beginning I would have known to stay away from them, but here I am. So, I would like to hear opinions on what brand I should go with for the lifters.

Hellcat

Reaction score
Looks like my options are; Hughes, Howards, Crower, Edelbrock, and Lunati. I couldn't find any from Crane. Also, I'm not sure how many of these are from the same supplier. I know a lot of companies just slap their name on the box so it's hard to tell. Anybody have any experience with these? Good/Bad?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Just out of interest I wonder if the small block ones would work OK
Factory lifters are good quality

moper

Reaction score
I rarely build hydraulic roller engines. But - Howards 91767 would be my first choice.

Ghoulardi

Reaction score
Just out of interest I wonder if the small block ones would work OK
Factory lifters are good quality
That's a really good question since they are both .904. I suppose it would depend on the lifter oiling provisions of the two types of blocks and the lifter's heights and oil feeds relative to them.

Hellcat

Reaction score
I ended up going with Hughes. I pre-loaded them with about 1/2 to 3/4 turn past zero lash and they have been running good. I still need to tune the motor a little better, but so far so good. I have only put about 250 miles on it since the rebuild.

Back