• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ignition switch test

steve817

Reaction score
Same problem with 70 Challenger R/T. It was a intermittent wire connection at the firewall bulkhead connect. The connection may look good, however, may be just loose enough to move around with heat/cold and vibration. I actually pull the male/female connectors out of the block, clean them up and reconnect with dielectric grease. If you have a new harness, that is when it really happens because the connections are so tight that they push out and you don't even know it. Steve

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the NSS is likely fine , the rubber plug gets hard & will not slide onto the switch fully & slips off , Evans has new harnesses for $25 or so

68bigblock

Reaction score
mine is a 4 speed and the last time I had a problem with one of those it didn,t turn over at all. but thanks for suggestion, still chasing wires

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I understand , the NSS switch was for Steve above .
Without being there I am not sure what else to suggest , I used to live in Alberta but I left otherwise I would try to drop by , you need to connect a volt meter to the blue wire & see if it is getting power in the run position at the bottom pf the column where it plugs into he harness , if it is then start testing connections at the bulkhead plug out to the ballast , if not then the problem has to be with the switch in the column . if the switch is still the problem then the new NOS switch has to be defective , as I said JS restorations can help with rebuilding the switches you have or supply one that works correctly . Just because something is new doesn't mean it is good .

Sixpaksteve

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have been posting thier suggestions on what I/we should be checking. My apologies for not replying sooner......been out of town and away from the computer for awhile.

Back