• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ignition Time delay

ssc10

Reaction score
My 72 Barracuda has a light package, and my ignition time delay light stopped working, replaced bulb(looked blown) new bulb, still not working, test light revealed no power to bulb housing, no fuses blown, any ideas?Thanks.

rogue

Reaction score
is the time delay relay still functional or unplugged?

ssc10

Reaction score
is the time delay relay still functional or unplugged?
Appears plugged in was working since recent final restoration, according to svc man need to pull wheel for that, do you know where delay relay located?thanks for reply.

Slotts

Reaction score
The delay light relay should be mounted on the steering column with tape as they did from the factory. This serves as a heat sink since this is a thermal driven device. Hanging in mid air can cause this device to burn up rather quickly.

To test this relay, unplug and read the impedance between the 12 volt battery input and door jam ground terminals. It should read around -35 Ohms. If there is an O/L reading, the part is dead.

The trigger to turn it on is when either door is opened, then closing the door will continue on for about thirty seconds, then turn off.

Once plugged back in and the door opened and closed, you should read 12 dcv between the output terminal and any exposed metal for a ground.

Delay%20Light%20Relay_zpskyxl2joo.jpg

Jim

ssc10

Reaction score
The delay light relay should be mounted on the steering column with tape as they did from the factory. This serves as a heat sink since this is a thermal driven device. Hanging in mid air can cause this device to burn up rather quickly.

To test this relay, unplug and read the impedance between the 12 volt battery input and door jam ground terminals. It should read around -35 Ohms. If there is an O/L reading, the part is dead.

The trigger to turn it on is when either door is opened, then closing the door will continue on for about thirty seconds, then turn off.

Once plugged back in and the door opened and closed, you should read 12 dcv between the output terminal and any exposed metal for a ground.

Delay%20Light%20Relay_zpskyxl2joo.jpg

Jim

ssc10

Reaction score
wow, that's awesome, I really appreciate the help, this is a great family, I will try and advise.

Steve340

Reaction score
Summit Racing sells those relays I think they are around $12.
Part number is 2889565
I assume if you leave the doors open for long periods the relay can burn out.
If your car has A01 package it should also have an instrument panel flood light above the dash switches.
Is that working? On my Challenger the relay controls both lights.

ssc10

Reaction score
Summit Racing sells those relays I think they are around $12.
Part number is 2889565
I assume if you leave the doors open for long periods the relay can burn out.
If your car has A01 package it should also have an instrument panel flood light above the dash switches.
Is that working? On my Challenger the relay controls both lights.
that's great news thanks, I will check panel flood.

Steve340

Reaction score
Locate the relay plug and remove the relay from the plug.
If you carefully bridge with a jump wire the battery and output terminals in the plug as per Jim's drawing your flood light and ignition key lamp should light up.
If they do you know the relay is faulty.

ssc10

Reaction score
Locate the relay plug and remove the relay from the plug.
If you carefully bridge with a jump wire the battery and output terminals in the plug as per Jim's drawing your flood light and ignition key lamp should light up.
If they do you know the relay is faulty.

Flood light is working.does relay have separate output for ignition light?

Steve340

Reaction score
No both bulbs are feed from the same relay terminal. From what I remember it separates into two wires on the output side of the relay, one goes to the flood light the other to the steering column.
Locate the column light feed it is a single Yellow wire were all the wires come out of the column. Apply 12 volts in to this plug column light should go.
Recheck and test the bulb you fitted it may be faulty/it may not be in the bulb holder correctly.
It also must be a regular style bulb not an LED for the relay to work properly.
Trace the wires from the relay plug and look for a bad connection or unplugged.

ssc10

Reaction score
No both bulbs are feed from the same relay terminal. From what I remember it separates into two wires on the output side of the relay, one goes to the flood light the other to the steering column.
Locate the column light feed it is a single Yellow wire were all the wires come out of the column. Apply 12 volts in to this plug column light should go.
Recheck and test the bulb you fitted it may be faulty/it may not be in the bulb holder correctly.
It also must be a regular style bulb not an LED for the relay to work properly.
Trace the wires from the relay plug and look for a bad connection or unplugged.
Update! was just under dash in cold garage, found errant loose wire and reunited male & female connection,walla light on.Thanks for all help.

Back