• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

ignition upgrade

mezmerized63

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question, I have a 1972 440-6 in my cuda and was wondering what the pros and cons are of upgrading the ignition system with an MSD system? Will I see much benefit for the $$$?

moparleo

Reaction score
Yes. The only downside is the cost. You will feel the difference with a cd type ignition. Faster starts, no engine miss at high speeds. More power with the multiple spark strikes. Especially good with higher cfm carb capacity.

mezmerized63

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm having some work done on the car and this was what the mechanic recommended to me. I'm not really up to speed on this type of stuff so I wasn't sure if the benefits outweighed the cost since the car is a Sunday driver and not used for anything other then cruise in's and shows. He recommended the new MSD ready to run system so that he didn't have to worry about hiding the ignition box. Estimated cost was around $750, parts/labor. Does that seem high?

Adam

Reaction score
Well it does seem high to me, if you can do the work yourself. The directions for that distributor say " All that is required is to install the distributor in the engine, and connect three wires and the coil!" Allowing $150 for plugs & wires you are paying him around $200 for his labor / knowledge.

moper

Reaction score
The ready to run distributor is close to $400. So that, wires, and the installation will be that, maybe a hair more depending on the coil and costs of plugs and tuning. Definately worth doing.

mezmerized63

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It sounds like i'll get a lot better performance from the upgrade which is what my concern was. I would hate to spend that kind of $$$ and not see any difference.

70Barracuda

Reaction score
Hey all, new here. Check out FBO. he has a great set up, been proven for years now. Looks all stock.

4secondsflat.com

NoCar340

Reaction score
Didn't look at the distributor, but if it doesn't have vacuum advance, pass on it. Street drivers absolutely need it for better drivability and fuel economy.

MSD ignition is only multiple spark below 3,000RPM. You'll likely see gains below that point; I've never seen any at high RPM and have never had spark loss with nothing more than an MP orange box. I shifted my own 440+6 @ 6,800RPM and both of my 340s over 7,000... all three with factory distributors. No doubt the MSD is a good system, but I question the value from a return-on-investment standpoint.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I tend to disagree , the MSD only multi sparks up to 3000 RPM approx where the powerband starts so to me it is a waste of $$
I used 4 FBO systems & had trouble with every one of them , replaced all the components 1 at a time & they ran better with other parts , ECUs etc failed
If everything is working properly the stock ign is hard to beat , high output coil , low resistance spiral core plug wires , reluctor gap set properly [you have no clue how often this is missed , I see it all the time !] good cap with brass contacts , good plugs gapped correctly , We dyno tested all the plugs available for an SS/D 426 Hemi & the cheapest plugs made the most power so Champion or Autolite , the more expensive the plug the more power lost . Make sure the dist is working correctly & is set up properly with a shorter advance curve around 20* so you can set initial timing around 168at Idle & total advance or 36* or so , also the spring have to be the correct load so the curve is early enough but not too fast . I never use vacuum advance on a street car it is more for emissions than power & I consistently improve power & fuel milage without vacuum advance , getting mid 20 MPG from 440s & even getting 18 MPG from a dynoed 440/512 stroker making 400 RWHP & 460 RWtq on a mustang dyno which read the lowest of all the dynos .
You can spend a Lot of $$ & see zero gain in power , the new Rev-N-Ator is claiming power gains but I have yet to test on a dyno with one .

Last edited:

70Barracuda

Reaction score
That's the first I ever heard of problems with FBO. I have had the same one for years. Two different engines. SB to BB. No problems. Sorry to hear that.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The load of the coil burned out 3 of the ECUs , & as I replaced components the cars ran better with each component replaced , no as good as all the hype apparently & everything is in the trash now !! Not your fault & I am always willing to try new / Better ? componenets some are some are not ! I still want to try a Rev-N-Ator ECU but they are always sold out it seems

Adam

Reaction score
That's the first I ever heard of problems with FBO. I have had the same one for years. Two different engines. SB to BB. No problems. Sorry to hear that.

Same here I have used FBO stuff for at least ten years, no problems or complaints.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Have you tried swapping parts of the system ? When we did we noticed a improvement right away using a better coil & ECU .

Yatzee

Reaction score
Save some doe and try MSD's new electronic distributor that does not use vacuum advance and has internal
power band tables that you invoke via 2 pan pots. They call them E-Curve and you do not need a coil. But
ground has to go to battery ground and supply voltage constant to work properly when you really get your
foot into it.

YO7_A66

Reaction score
I too have had issues with the FBO ignition systems. The first one was the original release for the 6v system. That system ran good. I then traded that in for his 12v system and I could not keep the system running. He then let me trade that system in for the upgraded system but that was on back order due to manufacturing issues. He kept telling me it was another two weeks, and after eight weeks waiting for a system, he refunded my money and I bought the MSD Street Fire system that has been running great for two years. I run this box with the MSD High Vibration coil.
I did return to FBO for his Manifold Vacuum Advance distrubuter and it has been flawless for over a year.
The above three items have been running great together and I would recommend them all.

Back