• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

I'm having a hard time making this call, need help

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
Ok, I can't make up my mind on rather to put a new 2 barrel Carb on my Challenger, or add a new Edelbrock 4 barrel and intake manifold? I'm getting new headers for sure, but the car in all original, and for me it's a tough call, somebody help.

It just seems like when you start adding extra's you start having problems, maybe that's in my mind. What would you guys do?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
what engine ?
The 318 doesn't seem to gain much with a 4 bbl & intake unless you change the cam as well

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
The car sounds good, runs and drives good. If it's a waste of money to add the 4 barrel carb and intake then I don't want to waste the money. I will just put a new 2 barrel on it and go from there.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I am not saying it is a waste of $$ , but I have done this on a couple of 318s & they do not gain much without doing at least cam , you are adding headers etc so that will help too . I would look at the Holley Avenger 570 as one of the best carbs for a 318 . There really are no intakes specifically designed for the 318 small port heads except the old LD4B eddy , all other intakes are designed with the larger 340-360 port size . There are a number of ways to go here , you can use the 87-92 302 swirl port heads but they still have the smaller port size or you can swap to the 308 heads from the 360 but you lose compression , add a VooDoo cam 60402 with carb intake & headers & you will get a good gain .

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I still may make the change, just ca't make up my mind. Headed to the shop in an hour, I got to make a choice by then.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Don't waste your $$ on a Eddy carb , they all need tuning & run lean , not very responsive either . I would have to check if Proform makes a carb in the 550 CFM range that would be my #1 choice .
Intake & carb swap is easily done at any time but if you have to replace the carb anyway it makes it more difficult

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
The 2barrel is leaking gas from the gasket onto the manifold, and the carb is 40 years old. I'm gonna add a new one no matter what, just trying to make up my mind if I should keep in original, or make the jump to the 4 barrel.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
Just got back from the shop, and after a long talk the guy told me to no mess with the car, he said you have a good running and driving #matching car with factory air and more. He said in my opinion, don't touch it. He said rebuild the Carb, and enjoy this car.

ramenth

Reaction score
Just got back from the shop, and after a long talk the guy told me to no mess with the car, he said you have a good running and driving #matching car with factory air and more. He said in my opinion, don't touch it. He said rebuild the Carb, and enjoy this car.

Numbers matching on a 318 car doesn't mean much unless it's a low mileage survivor to begin with.

It's a matter of how far you want to go to wake up the little bad boy. As our buddy Chryco pointed out, if you go with a 4bbl and intake then you might want to explore heads and cam. So, it really comes down to how much work you want to do to keep it a fun driver. A carb rebuild and you're back on the road.

You can always take out the little 'teen and put it on a stand if you're concerned about numbers matching, find a 360 to play with, drop it between the aprons and rock.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
It has 141,000 miles, and runs good now. I just need to find a carb for it, I'm driving it now with no issues, but a small leak between the carb and intake.

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
Ok, give me a good set up for making the 318 all it can be. Carb, Intake, Cam, and whatever else. Put it on me!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
What year 318 ?
the 70 was actually quite powerful , the 72-74 had less compression . with 141,000 on it I would look at a total rebuild , or as Ramneth said just put in a 360 .
Continuing with the 318 & assuming you have compression I would look at a 60402 cam , Rpm intake with 308 heads ported & a Holley Avenger 570 or a Proform 67211 , double roller timing chain , electronic ign

Challenger Chuck

Reaction score
It's a 72, I remember the 71 Challenger my dad had with a 318 out running big blocks. That little car would run! My buddy has a 70 cuda that had a good 340 in it, and he sold it to a friend who put a crate engine in it, then my friend bought it back and still has the 340 out, i may talk to him about buying the 340 unless I can find a good 360 for sale.

Tonefiend

Reaction score
My 318 has the stock exhaust manifolds, an rv cam, ld4b intake, and an edelbrock 650 cfm carb. 160 or 260 k original miles. It smokes a bit but has decent power and runs great.. I have a 340 to build that will eventually go in there. Id get the 340 if you can!

Back