• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Installing Small Block Distributor From Scratch in 340

DaveH

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm installing my distributor after the engine rebuild and need a little direction. I'm installing it on a 1969 340 small block. The intake is off for now. I need help installing my distributor and setting the timing. What is the best was to do it?

I will set it to about 10 degrees before TDC using the thumb in the #1 plug feeling for the compression. How does the timing gear get oriented in the block and how does the distributor get dropped in?

Any and all information that you can give me is really appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
I suggest you try to get an oridginal service manual or a cd version, that info is covered in detail of where to align the distributor. From memory the distributor drive gear slot should point to the front left intake manifold retaining bolt when at tdc on #1 cylinder and timing marks on crank pulley and timing cover are aligned

Adam

Reaction score
The timing gear can be installed in any direction, as long as the #1 cylinder is at tdc (10 btdc is good) and the dist cap is wired with #1 from where the rotor is. That being said, I like to point it towards the left front. The cam gear can be rotated backwards with a large screwdriver, pull up as you twist. The distributor will rotate as it drops in, so you must allow for that to ensure the tang on the bottom of the distributor shaft engages the slot in the drive gear. If it doesn't the dist will not drop all the way down to the block.

moparleo

Reaction score
The distributor will drop straight down as there is only a slot to line up with unlike GM that has the drive gear on the bottom of the distributor. I like the "thumb method" to set initial timing at 10 before tdc. Calibrated thumb ?

Back